Fuel & oil

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Dbailey

Fuel & oil

Post by Dbailey »

Afternoon all...

I’ve had a little search but couldn’t find anything however I’m sure it’s been discussed previously...

GT380....

What fuel? 95 or 98 octane was going to go with Tesco momentum..
What two stroke oil? Mineral or semi synthetic? I bought a bottle of comma semi synthetic that is red in colour but the residue in the tank is green.

Thanks
Dave Bailey
barney01

Re: Fuel & oil

Post by barney01 »

Hi
First of all oil. 2t comes in a lot of colours, red,green,gold and even blue. The colour isn't important but the type is. There are many views and everyone has a personal choice. You can have fully synthetic, semi synthetic and mineral oil. They all work . There have been many debates but you just need to make up your mind which you want to go with. Most people then stick to the same brand of oil from there on. One thing to note. You have no idea what is in that tank it could be anything or even be polluted so drain and empty the tank first. When you have decided which oil you are going with never mix the types of oil as it causes 'glooping' which is similar to clotting and may block the oil pump and lines.
With regards to petrol use the highest octane you can get remember when these bikes were made they ran on 100 octane. Ethanol added to petrol these days is not good for rubber components like carb rubbers etc and some brands add more than others. I use BP ultimate because it 'allegedly' has no ethanol and is 99 octane.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Thanks for the reply...

I’ll give the Bp fuel a go.. I’ll push on with the semi synthetic comma and see how I go.

Thanks
Dave Bailey
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

It is hard to be absolutely sure (unless you do the ethanol test,) but I believe it is only Esso 98 octane that does not have ethanol in it - but even that may not be true now.
willowden

Post by willowden »

I asked a similar question regarding the two stroke oil.
The general consensus was to use a mineral based product as the tolerances on these old strokers was not designed for synthetic or even semi synthetic.
I would use comma green mineral if I was you , bin the semi synthetic.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

willowden wrote:I asked a similar question regarding the two stroke oil.
The general consensus was to use a mineral based product as the tolerances on these old strokers was not designed for synthetic or even semi synthetic.
I would use comma green mineral if I was you , bin the semi synthetic.
+1
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Thanks...comma mineral oil is what I’ve gone with...

Thanks
Dave Bailey
barney01

Post by barney01 »

If it helps this is how I balance my carbs
https://youtu.be/jJGl_hab3Bg
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Hi thanks for the video.. unfortunately mine is an L which has the single pull position..

Thanks
Dave Bailey
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Semi synthetic 2T oil in all my triples as it doesn't foul plugs at all and smokes less.
98 in the Earwig and owt in the Hippo.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated