Gt380 baffle cleaning...

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Dbailey

Gt380 baffle cleaning...

Post by Dbailey »

Ok next on the list is to check the baffles... problem is the screws are all rounded off so drilling them out is the next job. In general how easy do the baffles come out once the screws are drilled out... am I about to have a fight on my hands?

Thanks
Dave Bailey
Roger Ackery

Re: Gt380 baffle cleaning...

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, Dave,yes they can be difficult to remove :cry: if they've not been out regularly
Try a twisting motion, rather than a straight pull,
They can also break in two if old & rusty,
Had this happen on my GT750,the only way to get it clear was to cut the pipe open down the seam, then reweld & chrome, expensive :roll:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Dbailey wrote:Ok next on the list is to check the baffles... problem is the screws are all rounded off so drilling them out is the next job. In general how easy do the baffles come out once the screws are drilled out... am I about to have a fight on my hands?

Thanks
Dave Bailey
First off. pour boiling water on the baffle end once the screws are out.Tap the baffle in slightly to get it moving and then get some padded pliers on the cross bar to twist and pull it out. Try boiling water a couple of times. If it doesn't work, use a blowtorch to do the same. Heat will shift it.
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Thanks guys

Hopefully will give it a go Sunday..

Dave B
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

If you do have to use a torch, make sure you can deal with any carbon/oil deposits catching fire. :o