Oh dear GT550 Engine not sounding good

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Harrymail

Re: Oh dear GT550 Engine not sounding good

Post by Harrymail »

barney01 wrote:Great news Paul ! That was quick getting it back together. Mind you have had some practice :lol:
Yes much quicker second time around Barney ;)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Good news at last Paul, let's hope it stays that way with no more issues. Won't be long till spring when you can get some serious miles on it and properly run in, in time for the Linc's rally. :D
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Managed 10 miles on the bike yesterday. So far all good. Nothing leaking, vibration seems to have gone. I guess I will have to do some running in again, as the crank is new. Probably be spring before I can get some miles on it, but at least it can go to bed for winter and I can look forward to next year, and hopefully a good engine :)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Sounds like good news Paul, watch out for those icy roads though, perhaps best waiting as you said till spring, for some serious running in.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

Looks really nice now you've (hopefully)finished it.

Is the double disc conversion worth the effort and cost and does it make the steering any heavier or less feedback? I've got most of the bits but unsure whether to do the conversion.
1976 GT550A in black
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

crazy4557 wrote:Looks really nice now you've (hopefully)finished it.

Is the double disc conversion worth the effort and cost and does it make the steering any heavier or less feedback? I've got most of the bits but unsure whether to do the conversion.
The conversion was done in the 70's by the first owner. I find it really good. It still has the original single caliper master cylinder on, but it works fine and has been like that for over 40 years so I have not changed it. I have read numerous times that the master cylinder must be changed to the Dual one from a Kettle, but if it ain't broke... Also the splitter is a generic T piece, not the Kettle setup. My modern bike is a Fazer 600, known for its very good front brake, and I find the GT550 just as good as the Fazer. I have changed the front pads during my ownership, and now have EBC pads. Once bedded in they feel just as good as the ones I removed which I think were genuine Suzuki. I've not ridden a 550 with a single caliper but I'm very happy with mine and would think it is well worth the effort to fit.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'll second that, and a disc on the back is even better! :lol:
20160831_123421.jpg
Proof that four strokes are over complicated