Oh dear GT550 Engine not sounding good

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Harrymail

Re: Oh dear GT550 Engine not sounding good

Post by Harrymail »

Engine In.jpg
Well after a bit of a delay getting some ancillary parts together (engine mounts being the main item), the engine is finally back in the frame with a bit of help from a couple of pals. Managed to not scratch the engine or the frame and lowered it into place with a trolly jack. A bit of time to spend now connecting everything back up. Just awaiting my carbs back from Baz, so wont be starting it up just yet, but hope to be doing so this side of xmas.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Great news Harry! Looking fab. Just been I'm my garage fettling carbs but can't feel my fingers and toes so gave up :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

barney01 wrote:Great news Harry! Looking fab. Just been I'm my garage fettling carbs but can't feel my fingers and toes so gave up :D
It's very cold in East Yorkshire too. Thermals on in the garage today Barney.
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Well at last a bit of garage time and I have had the engine running this morning. It sounds fine. No rattles and the top end is quiet. I left the oil pump cover off so that I could see the red oil moving along each line having primed it with clear oil. All lines are moving, any bubbles have cleared. Not ridden it yet as I still have a few parts to fit such as new chain etc. Been through all the gears though and they select fine. I will be rechecking the timing with a dial gauge and balancing the carbs with a flow meter.

So all is looking good and I am looking foward to getting it out on the road when the salt has gone. Lets hope them Cruzin Image pistons bed in ok !
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just keep below 4000 for the first hundred miles and then work it more for the next hundred or so. Let it rev, but not slog. I'm sure you know what I mean and you'll enjoy the bike again when the sun shines!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:Just keep below 4000 for the first hundred miles and then work it more for the next hundred or so. Let it rev, but not slog. I'm sure you know what I mean and you'll enjoy the bike again when the sun shines!!
Thanks Alan, I hadn't thought too much about the running in technique yet. 40 years since I ran a motor in. Sounds like good advice.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

See you up at Squires when it gets a bit warmer, bud.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Excellent progress ! That first hundred miles is scary... :shock: listening to every tiny sound from the motor :D one thought. I always run in a new built engine on mineral engine oil as fully synthetic protects to much and won't allow the rings to bed in. Just my opinion you understand. Betcha can't wait to get out there
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

barney01 wrote:Excellent progress ! That first hundred miles is scary... :shock: listening to every tiny sound from the motor :D one thought. I always run in a new built engine on mineral engine oil as fully synthetic protects to much and won't allow the rings to bed in. Just my opinion you understand. Betcha can't wait to get out there

Thanks Barney. I have Putoline Semi-Synthetic in at present, which is what I have always used. Hedging my bets ! I could drain it and change to mineral though.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I've only ever used semi synth since I got back into two strokes in 2011. Personally, I wouldn't go through all the faffing to go back to mineral, then again back to ss. The first 100 mikes is the important bit and how ou treat tge engine then counts a lot.
It's your call though.