SCEM - Japan Nikasil

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
PaulD738

Re: SCEM - Japan Nikasil

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:
Which barrel do you have the problem with? I forget.
Erm, the one fitted to his bike :tw
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

No, he removed it. So it's the one NOT on the bike.
And it's the Right hand one as I discovered on another fred.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Alan H wrote:Sorry Tato - I keep going on holiday, so a visit might be difficult! :lol:
(Mediterranean cruise soon, then Malta for a scuba diving holiday soon after, and another one later this year in Madeira - Being retired is VERY hard work.) :roll:
Mike's bike seems OK, and ran sweet after we stripped and rebuilt the motor last week though, so the sleeved bore options seem good.
Mike will be reporting more when he gets back, hopefully.

Which barrel do you have the problem with? I forget.
Alan Look, I have an engine from 1975. There were originally barrels of Nikasil in it. Someone exchanged one barrel (right) for iron. But I bought the right barrel. My mechanic measured all barrels and said that I had to apply a new Nikasil coating. I was surprised because I thought that the engine works quite nicely, look at the movie. Or maybe just buy one set of pistons and put on this third Nikasil barrel and I will see what will happen.

MOVIE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yHeTlVda7M

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I had had a look at my spare nikasil barrels and the right hand one needs replating, so will not help you. I have a few left and centre nikasil type barrels, but not the right one.If your 'new' barrel is in good condition with no scrapes or rough areas, then I think you should try it as it is it sounds ok. I notice that you have the earlier type carburettors on your bike and it should have the later linked ones, but if it runs ok, check the colour of the spark plug tips (light brown, fuel mixture ok, - white, too weak - black, too rich) leave it alone! That's the colour of the spark plug tip/ceramic that is normally inside the engine.
If you change the carbs, you will also need a new fuel tap and air filter, so just more expense.
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Alan H wrote:I had had a look at my spare nikasil barrels and the right hand one needs replating, so will not help you. I have a few left and centre nikasil type barrels, but not the right one.If your 'new' barrel is in good condition with no scrapes or rough areas, then I think you should try it as it is it sounds ok. I notice that you have the earlier type carburettors on your bike and it should have the later linked ones, but if it runs ok, check the colour of the spark plug tips (light brown, fuel mixture ok, - white, too weak - black, too rich) leave it alone! That's the colour of the spark plug tip/ceramic that is normally inside the engine.
If you change the carbs, you will also need a new fuel tap and air filter, so just more expense.
Thanks Alan. I'll check it. I need to buy a one nikasil piston kit for my "new" barrel. I will see how it works. Is it possible to buy a used piston set in good condition? Does it make any sense?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Definitely. New rings are preferable, but old ones should work so long as they aren't scuffed or worn out. Put them in the barrel and measure the gaps. I'll have to check what it should be later as we're just going out and I don't have the details on this phone.
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Has anyone used the PJME in Wolverhampton solution? They sleeve the existing bores with iron sleeves. Maybe it's a better solution than Nikasil

Alan, does this have schneurle ports?
https://www.ebay.pl/itm/Suzuki-GT550-GT ... SwkfFbqMW7
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

No. It's the early type. All the base holes are the same height, the schneurle barrels have the back holes higher. Look at the ones you have for the difference.

I fitted a set of the schneurle barrels with iron bores on Mike Yeadon's bike. It rides nice and is very quiet.

http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... 16&t=11245

PM Mike and ask him what he thinks.
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Yes, you're right. I've already remembered how it looks. Just tell me, please: Originally, there was no schneurle barrels with iron bores? Is the schneurle barrels with iron bores is a modification created by people? I am sorry to ask you, but my English is poor. I have trouble finding information on the forum. I can't understand everything, when I read. :(
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

tato81 wrote:Yes, you're right. I've already remembered how it looks. Just tell me, please: Originally, there was no schneurle barrels with iron bores?
Correct. Early bores were iron without the schneurle ports, schneurle port barrels 'should' be Nikasil (SCEM) plated.
Is the schneurle barrels with iron bores is a modification created by people?
Yes. PJME do them. http://www.pjme.co.uk/acatalog/Cylinder ... eving.html
I am sorry to ask you, but my English is poor. I have trouble finding information on the forum. I can't understand everything, when I read. :(
Not a problem, we are trying to help. The barrels I bought from Canaletto and fitted to Mike's bike looked very good and the bike ran quiet. I only did a couple of miles on it after it was done, but it felt good. If you only have one done, it should be ok, but I can't be certain. If it was my engine and I needed to get it running, I would do it. You don't intent racing the bike, so one resleeved cylinder should be fine.
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.