GT380 Timimg....

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
willowden

Re: GT380 Timimg....

Post by willowden »

Have to say , all of this faffing about is making me chuckle a bit.
Why don’t you just email Uwe at Accent electronic Ignition , pay him £150 for a handmade system ( he will even give you a discount for being a kettle member ) fit it to your bike , takes about 30 mins, set your timing once & once only then get on with your life !!
Yes we like our bikes to be original, but faffing around all of the time with points that will stay set for 500 Miles if your lucky ???
Well I have had my rant , feel better now
Cheers
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Properly set points last much longer than that. 3500 miles last year on the Hippo and a couple of thousand on the Earwig (550) until the current bearing issue. Also remember that if electronic ignition fails, usually you're walking. With points systems you'll still ride home.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Properly set points last much longer than that. 3500 miles last year on the Hippo and a couple of thousand on the Earwig (550) until the current bearing issue. Also remember that if electronic ignition fails, usually you're walking. With points systems you'll still ride home.
+1
I find it very satisfying to set the timing on a triple 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
willowden

Post by willowden »

You make a good point ( pardon the pun ) I am sure this is a topic that could be debated over & over if it hasn’t already at sometime in the past.
All I would say , if these bikes where stil being manufactured today would the ignition system be switched by a triple points system & its assecories ? Usually the breakdowns mentioned are because of it.
You can use a modern reliable system fitted to your bike that visually you would never know.
Surely there are so many other areas of your machines to be concentrated on than this.
It would be interesting to see how many other members are of the same opinion & have converted their Ignition.
Regards,
Kurgan36

Post by Kurgan36 »

....... both the 750 cafe racer and the 750 B converted to electronic ingnition , run like a dream and maintenance free, for me it’s the only option !
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

The 100+bhp TR750 superbike as campaigned by a certain B Sheene among others was fitted with points ignition ;)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
wardy

Post by wardy »

willowden wrote:You make a good point ( pardon the pun ) I am sure this is a topic that could be debated over & over if it hasn’t already at sometime in the past.
All I would say , if these bikes where stil being manufactured today would the ignition system be switched by a triple points system & its assecories ? Usually the breakdowns mentioned are because of it.
You can use a modern reliable system fitted to your bike that visually you would never know.
Surely there are so many other areas of your machines to be concentrated on than this.
It would be interesting to see how many other members are of the same opinion & have converted their Ignition.
Regards,
I have to say I agree , although I'm yet to fit a system to either my 380 or 750 ( looking at newtronics for that one)
I can't help thinking how reliable my cars are without points!
My mx5 is 27 years old... never let me down in my ownership and I also have a daily focus, which is 14 yrs old.. never a problem
They are really now "fit and forget" and if major manufacturers now trust electronic, it's good enough for me.
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

PaulD738 wrote:The 100+bhp TR750 superbike as campaigned by a certain B Sheene among others was fitted with points ignition ;)
Probably because the electronics were not small, light or reliable enough in the early '70's, but his faster and arguably more successful RG500 had PEI. It's a very subjective issue that will never be answered to the satisfaction of all, my 750 and 550 both have Accent systems fitted.
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Nothing wrong with electronic ignition when fitted to vehicles when new but why change from point's when bikes have run with no problems for 40 years, if electronic system fails you are fooked happened to me. pointless exercise...and it makes no difference to the way bikes run! honest.
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Oooo what have I started... :oops:

Today’s update.... i went out on the bike and it’s certainly improved... probably not quite there yet though... but a big improvement. I have an IR temp gun so checked the temps on the barrell just above the exhaust and they are now higher showing the engine is working harder... just need to keep an eye on the middle cylinder because that seems to be running a bit hotter. All three were about 100 degrees previously but now pushing 110 for the outer two and near 120 for the middle. At the moment messing with it is a learning exercise that I’m enjoying so keeping away from electronic ignition for a bit...

Thanks
Dave B