chrome bar on 380 carb bank

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
quark77

chrome bar on 380 carb bank

Post by quark77 »

hi chaps , anyone know the part no for the chrome bar with woodruff keys that fits in the top of a 380 carb ba k ? probably unavailable anyway but nice to know the number , i guess its a rechrome jobby
BAZ

Re: chrome bar on 380 carb bank

Post by BAZ »

If you re-chrome it won't fit vibrato clean is the best option.
quark77

Post by quark77 »

cheers Baz , i should have known that , so i guess once the chrome has gone thats it ! I do know a mate who might be able to fashion me one from stainless , i ll ask -- nothing ventured etc
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Copper is heavy under the chrome so if you buff it will look ok and not go rusty or I can get it vibro cleaned for you.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

If you can't source a new replacement go with the s/s option, that's what I did before retiring from a lifetime of misery as a centre lathe turner :roll:
Made lots of parts for all my bikes (always using the correct grade of s/s for the job of course) and also provided Baz with quite a few parts too.
The good thing about s/s is it'll polish up to a mirror finish and stay like that, so I'd ask your mate if he'll oblige but ask how much first so you don't get a shock, or you could ask Mark Read (suzukigtfasteners) on here if he could do the job for you.
Cheers, Steve W.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
quark77

Post by quark77 »

not costing me this time as favours called in , i ll post a pic when its done , just a thought could you make one out of brass as well ?
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Brass is much easier to work with, being a lot softer than s/s but it will wear and bend/twist a lot easier too.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
BATTS

Post by BATTS »

I had one made in stainless by a chap called Colin (Yellowbelly) on this forum don't know whether he's still around? Failing that Astrax (on this forum and Ebay) may be able to make one with his fancy CNC machines!!
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl