Replacement fork stanchions

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
es2GT550

Re: Replacement fork stanchions

Post by es2GT550 »

Thanks Kev- can you remember the oil volume you used in them ?? Is it 240ml ??
Cheers
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

My mini front end rebuild is progressing - front end stripped - some stuff sent ot Sean at Aggbriggs for chroming. Looking forward to seeing that - been polishing the fork bottoms tonight - will try to get some pics up
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

es2GT550 wrote:Thanks Kev- can you remember the oil volume you used in them ?? Is it 240ml ??
Cheers
It/s 160ml per fork if it is the later stanchion with the metal bung top. Kev
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Thanks Kev - appreciate that
es2GT550

Re: Replacement fork stanchions - HELP !!

Post by es2GT550 »

Anyone got any advice on replacing the metal bung in the top of the fork stanchions ?? Have polished up the legs - fitted new seals, added the oil , fitted the spring - now need to fit the metal bung with the o-ring , compress it enough to fit the circlip - seems like I need 4 hands !!! :(
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I take it there is no pressure forcing the spring up? i.e the front wheel resting on the ground etc? If not, then it is a case of getting the bung in enough to fit the circlip above it's mounting groove. The springiness of the circlip will help hold the bung but keep a thumb or finger on the centre of the bung just in case.. Then it is a question of edging the circlip down with a broad blade screwdriver until it locates in it's groove.
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Hi Kev- the forks are on the bench so yes the springs are forcing the bung up. Is there a better way ??
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi

If there is nothing actually pushing the damper rods up then no, the method I talked about is the one I've used a few times. Kev