t500 transmission

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
quark77

t500 transmission

Post by quark77 »

friend of mine swears t500 gear clusters cannot be dismantled and reassembled except by a place like "nova" he maintains that gears were never sold individually because they have to be " superheated on " i m sure in the midsts of time i ve replaced individual gears on these in by basic garage ? am i wrong guys ?
teazer

Re: t500 transmission

Post by teazer »

I have never been inside a T500 transmission, but many transmissions have one gear pressed into place that prevents the other from being removed. That applies to GT750 and GSXR and RD400 and so on. But that doesn't mean that gears are not available or that they cannot be removed. Suzuki used to sell replacement gears. The end gear can be pressed off and pressed back into place but it has to be correctly spaced. The Factory shop manual for other models gives dimensions and also advises that the gear should not re pressed back on more than twice.

The T500 had a slightly different design in that the gears on the input shaft do not slide to change gears - only the output shaft. The input shaft is one piece. It may be that the gears were pressed on but also possible they were machined on the shaft. Gears on the output shaft are replaceable though. Your friend is half right.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

No your not wrong, gears can be removed.
malky

Post by malky »

Will be in mine at the weekend - didn't think the 500 was any different from any other engine - just changed a couple of cogs on an early GT250K and they were straightforward enough to do and the 500 is basically the same
Mal.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Nova sell different individual gears and also a complete six speed gearbox for the 500, back in the dark ages Peter Inchley used to sell complete race gear boxes either as an exchange or just the bits to convert the standard box to race spec. The main problem with the 500 gearbox as it was with most during the sixties & seventies was the massive jump between first & second. Below is a pic of my TR500 motor complete with the superb Inchley gearbox.
Attachments
4EE1220C-565E-458A-9C97-A2753B487D1D.png
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
quark77

Post by quark77 »

cheers guys , i guess i m not as senile as i feared :lol:
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

I have some in Inchley gears along with a 6 speed Barton box.