Points Cam...

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Dbailey

Points Cam...

Post by Dbailey »

So treated myself to a nice new electronic ignition kit for the GT380 however the 20 minutes to fit has turned into hours and still not been able to get the bike apart.. I have removed the nut from the end of the points cam shaft but I cannot get the points cam of the shaft.. Is this a common issue and does it mean removing the side casing to press the shaft out and subsequently get the cam off?

Thanks in advance

Dave Bailey...
willowden

Re: Points Cam...

Post by willowden »

Sounds like you have been unlucky. I would try some localised heat with a heat gun, taking care not to damage the nylon cog the other side of the casing. If it still doesn’t shift I would cut down the side of it with a dremil & split it off. Good luck.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh yes, electronic ignition is better than points - if you can get it on in the first place.
I'll stick to points - thankyou very much - on all three of my triples.

All that technolology crap will never catch on I tell you.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Ok... so a few things have become apparent today... had to cut the cam bush off... turns out there was no locating pin fitted so possibly explains why difficult to set the timing... question is was the pin not fitted because the nylon sprocket had not been lined up correctly? I guess I’ll find out when it goes back together.....

Dave B