1976 550 pipes-restore? replace? options..

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
rderrick121

1976 550 pipes-restore? replace? options..

Post by rderrick121 »

Hello all,

Recently picked up a 76 550 and am interested in doing a bit of touching up, all the chrome is yucky on it, pitted at the least on the open surfaces and pretty much beyond repair without rechroming. I do not wanna go this route because I know it will cost an area and a leg.

Any insight to where I can get some new pipes? what do you guys think of sandblasting them and painting them black or something? Would a regular old cabinet take off this chrome??

I really like the look of factory bikes especially older ones and want to keep it as original as possible in that case does anybody have a clean set for sale?

Thanks
swarrans

Re: 1976 550 pipes-restore? replace? options..

Post by swarrans »

How much they would cost to re- chrome depends on the base metal condition as the majority of the cost is based on the amount of work that has to be done to the base metal to get it into a result plating state Therefore if it is just the chrome that is coming off but the base metal is fine it wouldn't cost as much as if the base needs lots of work. It had to be said that it's not very likely that the base metal will be in good condition if the chrome is coming off though as it is a protective coating.

There is no way you could take the chrome off physically without causing huge damage. However the process for a plater to remove the chrome is non manual - they just connect the pipe to a high voltage supply submerged in a special solution which electronically removes the chrome. It would be cheap to do that therefore.

Probably not a great solution painting the result though - I'd save up if I were you or buy some aftermarket ones!

Simon
crazy4557

Re: 1976 550 pipes-restore? replace? options..

Post by crazy4557 »

The problem with Suzuki GT pipes is the metal is quite thin when new. So, any brazing is difficult and the re-chroming won't hide any poor repairs.
You need to find a decent set which is easier said than done, keep an eye out on fleabay and be prepared to pay more than you want, they do come up but very occasionally.
If you do get any and have them re-chromed then dip them completely in oil, this will protect the inside as that has had all the protection removed and will be bare metal.
1976 GT550A in black