Starter relay

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
crazy4557

Starter relay

Post by crazy4557 »

Which way do the wires connect, is the live on the inside or outside connection when fitted? There is a diagram showing the left hand connection as M and right hand as B - linky here: http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... /index.php

I have another issue that might be related to above but don't think so, when I push the starter button with the handlebar switch switched to off there is a very faint click from the relay but if I switch to run then nothing, no click at all. I've checked the cable to the starter is OK and the starter motor works so convinced I might have a relay issue even though it's brand new. (I connected a wire from battery to the starter motor and it turns over fine).
1976 GT550A in black
canaletto5

Re: Starter relay

Post by canaletto5 »

Here's the wiring diagram

http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/d ... &mode=view

It makes no difference which way around the starter cable and battery cable go, just which is the best way to route away from the relay.

The yellow/green wire is important. It carries the current from the handlebar switch when you press the button, but only when the RUN switch is on.

First - Disconnect the battery!

Make sure the relay itself is well earthed or it won't work anyway.

Then check the wiring in the handlebar switch to make sure there are no trapped wires.

Also check the yellow/green wire connections all the way from the handlebar switch to the relay unit. The first port of call is inside the headlamp shell as that is where the handlebar switch connects to the main loom.

Make sure that the yellow/green wire in the headlamp unit isn't itself trapped on the rim etc.

Kev
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

Thanks Kev, I'll check out your suggestions tomorrow and report back.
1976 GT550A in black
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

Checked the relay earth and for trapped wires but nothing found. Is there a way to check if the relay is faulty by using a meter?
I'm betting this might be the culprit as I can't see anything obviously wrong with the wiring.
1976 GT550A in black