GT550 Carbs

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
slosher

Re: GT550 Carbs

Post by slosher »

es2GT550 wrote: Still struggling with the air box
Hi there have you tried attaching the carbs to the rubber first butt them up to the stops and tighten the clamps,then offer the the air box to the large oval of the rubber you may have to ease it round with a small screw driver then attach the clamp.If like you say it is the original box and intake rubber you should be able to then bolt the air box to the frame.

Cheers Dave
Last edited by slosher on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Are the carbs too wide apart compared to the airbox rubber outlet spacing ?
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Thanks guys.

Hi Kev it looks like the airbox has one of the trumpets slightly angled away from carb inlet. As the carbs are all bolted to a top plate I cant see how I can have them too far apart ?? AmI missing something ??

I've actually taken the whole airbox out and still struggling to line it up even on the bench !! Got a fun evening ahead in the garage - very frustrating !! :(
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi

Sorry, I meant to try and see if the airbox rubber was the wrong one (ie the 380 one which looks the same but the trumpets are closer together) Can you measure the distance between the outside edges of the outer trumpets and see what the dimension is? Kev
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Post script

I've measured my 380 and 550 airbox rubbers and the distance between the outer edges of the trumpets is

380 - 26.5 cm

550 - 28cm

Now, I've also noticed that the trumpet spacing on the 550 is not even. Which means the carb spacing can't be even either, The left hand and centre carb are a half centimetre further apart than the right hand and centre carb. You can just see the difference in the photo
gt550 airbox.jpg
I know your not trying to attach the airbox rubber upside down :lol: but there may be something in it?
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Kev - your a star !! Thank you very much in your efforts in trying to help myself and other forum members. Its very much appreciated.

Anyway - took the complete airbox off , put it near my heater in the garage for 20 minutes to try and soften the rubbers all up a bit - and success !!!! Manged to get it to fit on the bench - clamped it up - then took carbs and airbox as unit and fitted to engine. Had to remove the throttle clamps on carbs to get them on as one unit but am chuffed to bits its all on !!! Its all clamped up and in place - need to sort the throttle out then get some fuel in and try to start - watch out for the smog in Lancashire !! :D
Wel lhappy
Eamonn
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Glad it's sorted Eamon :D Onward and upward
slosher

Post by slosher »

:D :D Eamon told you they would go back on bit of a pig and Kev your right about the off set on the centers 115mm & 120mm doh you just love triples :lol: :lol:

Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)