GT550 Carbs

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
es2GT550

GT550 Carbs

Post by es2GT550 »

Evening all, work progresses allbeit slowly on the 1974 GT550. Took the carbs off for a bit of TLC - couple of bits of advice needed please .
Firslty according to the manual you sync the carbs by removing the 6mm head bolt on sideo f carg and adjust the throttle rod so it appears at the top of the aperature of the removed bolt. I seem to be all out of adjustment - it this setting at idle or full throttle ?? What am i missing ? There only seems to be one of these inspection bolts on the right hand carb - I cant see anything on the left or inner carb ???
Finally any hints on getting the air box rubbers lined up - have got the bolts removed fro mtop of air box but seem to a good few mm out on getting the carb intakes to line up with the airbox - driving me nuts !! :(
Attachments
IMG_2985.JPG
IMG_2986.JPG
willowden

Re: GT550 Carbs

Post by willowden »

Are you sure the air box & rubbers are off a 550.
If they are from a 380 , I believe they are different & wont fit.
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Thanks but yes - the air box rubbers are original to the bike
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

It's easier if the airbox is not bolted up at the top to the frame. The airbox can then be moved about to get it on the carbs. Then bolt it to the frame afterwards.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,J,K Air Boxs are different part number to L,M,A Models mounting points on frame are different :(
Did everything fit properly before you pulled them off ?
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Synch the carbs on the bench with a feeler gauge under the slides.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Thanks guys - I've got the airbox top bolts off so got a bit of wriggle rrom to manouvre. The airbox is the one that came with the bike and they fitted when I bought the bike !!

I've changed the intake ruubers for new ones from Crzin image and cant see any difference between them and the old ones. Time for another try ;)
barney01

Post by barney01 »

You can use a hairdryer to warm up the airbox boot to make it a bit more supple too!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
slosher

Post by slosher »

es2GT550 wrote:? There only seems to be one of these inspection bolts on the right hand carb - I cant see anything on the left or inner carb ???
This is for correct oil delivery setting on you pump,once carbs are balanced turn the throttle until the dot punch mark is in the uppermost of the hole adjust the cable until the two marks line up on your oil pump hope this helps

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Many thanks slosher - that makes sense now.

Still struggling with the air box - its the one I took off the bike but even with it on the bench with the carbs I cannot get everything to line up. Is there a way to safely heat up the rubber airbox to allow you to stretch it slightly - it looks like its deformed slightly but enough to stop it fitting properly. Failing that any one got a spare airbox they want to sell ???