Exhaust Hanger Vibration Damper

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Harrymail

Exhaust Hanger Vibration Damper

Post by Harrymail »

On my GT550A, I just want to check that I am placing this item in the correct place. The parts diagram shows that it is placed last on the hanger bolt, with the washer and nut against it. It looks though that it would make more sense to place it between the two exhaust hangers. At present I am having trouble with the LH Outer exhaust touching the frame near the front foot peg and want to make sure I have everything correct.

Anybody know the correct positioning ? Also anyone else had trouble with the exhaust touching the frame ?

Cheers, Paul
Attachments
20190122_204624.jpg
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
barney01

Re: Exhaust Hanger Vibration Damper

Post by barney01 »

Harry I put the washer between inner and outer exhausts myself. As you say it makes sense that way. I also make sure there is a washer between the exhaust and the frame to allow movement between the two.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

The thick washer in the picture is designed to slot into the mounting hole of the inner bracket so that when the two are held together it provides a location for the anti vibration pad to fit to. The flanged nut then goes over the pad. If the thick washer isn't located properly then the inner bracket position will be wrong, only by mm but it could be enough
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Thanks Barney & Canaletto. I have had the vibration spacer in both these positions, and have made sure that the ring spacer is located within the hanger for the inner exhaust. Works fine on the RH side of the bike. But on the LH side the outer exhaust touches the frame. I have removed the exhaust and had a look and it would appear that it has been touching the frame for some time. Also it looks like the centre stand is also touching the exhaust. The exhaust has marks in two places where the frame / centre stand is touching the exhaust. Picture below. Its only the outer exhaust that is a problem. I'm just putting the bike back together after the engine has had a rebuild, so am trying to get everything spot on. I am beginning to think that something is bent somewhere. I wonder what is the normal gap between the frame and the LH Outer. Perhaps the bike has fallen over at some time before I owned it ??

Paul (Harry)
Attachments
Mark from contact with the frame
Mark from contact with the frame
Mark from contact with the centre stand
Mark from contact with the centre stand
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Just confirming you have a cushion fitted on the stand to protect the exhaust?
https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuk ... 139c97f0ef
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
slosher

Post by slosher »

Hey never seen these am i missing something :mrgreen:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I have always had one fitted....
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

barney01 wrote:Just confirming you have a cushion fitted on the stand to protect the exhaust?
https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuk ... 139c97f0ef
Yes, the cushion is in place. I have learnt from the previous owner that he dropped the bike on the left side on his drive. The stand saved the exhausts. I am thinking that the stand may be slightly bent. Something else must also be bent for the exhaust to touch the frame though. Possibly the frame itself is bent at the hanger. Will see if I can take some measurements tomorrow.
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Hi all - my '74 GT550 does nt have anything fitted for what its worth. there is a rubber mounted insert in the frame to dampen exhaust vibrations but not seen anything else - hope you manage to get it sorted ! good luck
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Got the exhaust on satisfactorily in the end. I put a piece of rubber between the frame and the exhaust. Tightened the header first, then the hanger bolt. I then removed the rubber and the exhaust clears the frame by about 5mm. Will do for now but will have to keep an eye on it as it may slip back against the frame.