Running backwards....

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Dbailey

Running backwards....

Post by Dbailey »

Well that was a first... still chasing my running issues.. runs lovely below 3500 rpm but above the motor doesn’t pull... starting to think it’s fuelling however tonight for for the first time ever on any two stroke I have owned the motor ran backwards. It now has electronic ignition which is excellent and I thought I had the timing sorted.. Whoever rebuilt the motor got the nylon wheel timing incorrect. I thought it was correct now but I haven’t checked the timing with a dti yet. This engine starting in reverse experience tonight makes me think I need to check the timing again.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks
Dave Bailey
slosher

Re: Running backwards....

Post by slosher »

Hi Dave
A mate of mine purchased a "L" 550 in red with the gold tank decals his also ran backwards when he bought it,he eventually rebuilt the bike totally and after never seemed confident with the bike he then sold it on.The guy is a member on here named Adam runs a Dunstall Kettle now.

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Dbailey

Post by Dbailey »

Thanks for the response... I’ve done 300 miles on it so far and it’s never run in reverse up until today...

I have a dti and an adapter I have made so won’t take much to check it... the static timing using the marker in the window is spot on so can’t be far out...

Dave Bailey
barney01

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
slosher

Post by slosher »

Dbailey wrote:I’ve done 300 miles on it so far and it’s never run in reverse up until today...
Hi Dave
What have you changed for this to just happen any idea mate :o
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Remember that if the engine runs in reverse for any length of time, the oil pump ain't pumping, it's sucking - except it can't cos of the oil pipe valves. :shock:
Last edited by Alan H on Fri May 31, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
quark77

Post by quark77 »

i rebuilt a 380 years ago and had it running backwards !
teazer

Post by teazer »

Most two strokes will run backwards. My GT750 did that once. I didn't kick it very hard and it must have kicked back and continued to run in reverse.You can imagine the surprise when I started to let out the clutch and the bike went backwards.

Mine had a DYNA which will fire at say 19 degrees BTDC or 19 ATDC (in reverse) . That can happen with simple single magnet systems. It's not common but happens from time to time. A modern system like Ignitech can't run bckwards- or so I believe and there's a guy in the US that uses 3 magnets in his DYNA conversions so that the timing is so far out in reverse that it basically cannot run.

Kick harder next time.
;)
1250Bandit

Post by 1250Bandit »

My 380 since I fitted a Accent electronic ignition will run backwards, had it happen a couple of times now, seems if you don't kick it properly or it kicks back it will fire up backwards.

Very strange feeling letting the clutch out and going backwards. It was fine when running points.

Cheers
Russ
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I keep telling you all, electronic ignition is the work of the devil. This just proves it! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated