Starter clutch problem

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
stinkywheels

Starter clutch problem

Post by stinkywheels »

Hi all.
Really appreciate some help and guidance. I have a GT 550a with the Borg Warner starter clutch which intermittently engages on the starter button. I have released the retaining clip and strip the assembly down and noticed that a the spring strip on one of the pawl roller retaining cage was bent. I shaped this back to the same geometry as all the others and re assembled. Problem still exists. Other than this detail I can see nothing obvious which would explain why it intermittently engages. How important is the shape of that spring strip which is only a few thou' thick? Is there any one who repairs these or at least can somebody in the forum give me some detailed pointers what the cause could be and the right remedy.

Also what brand and grade of transmission oil is best to give the starter clutch best chance??
Cheers
Paul.
Alan H

Re: Starter clutch problem

Post by Alan H »

Main problem with the BW unit is when people use synthetic oil in the gearbox. Use 20w 50 or 15w 40 mineral oil as Suzuki specc'd.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Re: Starter clutch problem

Post by barney01 »

+1 with Alan on that. You also need to clean all the internal parts to remove any trace of the synthetic oil it's no good just to replace the oil.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE