Clutch woes

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
wents75

Clutch woes

Post by wents75 »

Hi All again.
Hope your all enjoying the summer?
ok
My GT550 m Would stall when cold when I selected 1st gear I tried adjusting the cable and push rod adjusting bolt but no change.
So.... I started it in 1st gear with the clutch lever fully pulled, this worked but it still felt like slight clutch engagement ( pushing )

Right so now in the shed on its center stand not running.
in N back wheel runs freely
Turn back wheel by hand and engage 1st gear bike is clearly in gear as the wheel no longer moves.
Pull in clutch ....wheel still wont move
Disconnect the cable and fully adjust push rod bolt ( which does have 4 to 6mm of movement against the main rod /clutch springs) Back wheel still wont turn !
When the cable is connected you can visibly see the push rod bolt moving when the clutch lever is pulled.
Am I correct in thinking I must now remove the clutch cover and inspect the basket/plates/springs ?

Weird thing is when you get going the clutch seems fine up and down gears, I can find neutral ok But when I stop in first holding the clutch I can feel its somewhat still in gear! :tw
Any thoughts welcome
Ian
canaletto5

Re: Clutch woes

Post by canaletto5 »

It sounds as though the clutch plates might be dragging. What kind of oil are you using in the gearbox? Kev
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Yes I would get clutch cover off and see what's going on. One thing to check is the fins on the clutch basket. It may be that there are ridges which can prevent the clutch plates from moving
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
wents75

Post by wents75 »

Hi Thanks
Comma Classic 20W 50
When I was at Donnington last year I had some trouble with the clutch cable entry engine cover ( on the left) working loose so I may have done some basket/plate damage then??
Bit of a Bummer!
I guess a new gasket and kick start seal are mandatory?
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

The oil shouldn't cause problems so best to open it up as Barney suggests. Gasket may need changing if it tears but the kick start seal should be fine if you are careful
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Just another thought. Don't know if you have had clutch apart before? Clean everything with thinners or similar as PO may have used car oil or synthetic which sticks the plates together. Rub the metal plates with fine grit wet or dry paper too to remove Cork debris.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
wents75

Post by wents75 »

Hi
Right Iv got the cover off and the front plate retainer moves a good 5mm ( with all the cable and linkages connected ie pulling the clutch levar) but only the first plate separated. so still partially engaged.
the basket seems fine.
All the other plates are definitely stuck together but separate easily using your thump nail after which the back wheel turns be it with some resistance from the remaining oil.
Someone suggested a modern synthetic Putalene anti clutch plate friction oil.
Ill strip and clean the plates and try some.

Question - Any idea on how much movement I should be after on the front plate retainer 4mm to 5mm seems plenty as I can move all the other plates so easily.
I haven't had this problem before so wonder if the classic Comma 20w 50 oil which is advertised for car use is really not ideal after a few miles??
Ho Hum Ill let you know how it goes.
Ta very muchley
Ian
Ps woman's footy tonight !!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

As I said on previous post clean all parts with thinners and get those plate's moving freely. The oil won't be a problem stick with the 20/50 mineral. We know that's no the problem. My guess is the components of the clutch were contaminated. 5mm is fine as long as the plates don't stick together.
Good news! You found the problem. :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

+1 on Barney's advice. I might use white spirit rather than thinners, it is a bit less volatile and is pretty good at dissolving oil residue. Kev
wents75

Post by wents75 »

HI
Iv cleaned em up. But the thing is I didn't replace them so I do not know there history......
Iam thinking of replacing the plates and steel plates.
I heard "Surflex" are the best,any Idea where to get em from?

Thanks for your on going help.
Ps
Is there a meet this summer anywhere ?