Need help - perhaps starter clutch

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
pearly427

Need help - perhaps starter clutch

Post by pearly427 »

I have a mint condition 75-GT 550. It sat for 3-4 years in a friends garage until I built my own garage. No issues before I parked it. No one else ever messed with it because it had no battery at that time, etc. The last couple of weeks I’ve been getting it ready to go again. I had to retorque the head, clean carb, reset timing, clean it, etc.
When I hit the starter button it cranks easily but there is a loud clack coming from the right hand points cover. It makes the same loud clack when I kick it. I was thinking something wrong with starter clutch. But, it will crank the motor every single time regardless of using electric start or kick lever. It will also start to fire. But, after 3-4 engine rotations when it’s about to fire the engine makes that one loud clack and I’m afraid to let it completely start the engine.
Going to remove right hand clutch cover tomorrow and inspect. But, I don’t think I’ll find anything broken because it cranks the engine every time.
I’m pretty familiar with these bikes as I’ve owned this one for about 6 years and a 750 for nearly as long. But, I’ve never messed with a starter clutch. Can anyone give me their opinions and tell me what problem to look for when I remove the right side case. I know my actual clutch needs adjusted properly also, the sound is coming from the right. It’s one loud clack at the end of 3-4 engine rotations. Sound doesn’t repeat. Unless, I try to start it again. It makes same sound when I try to kick it.
Last edited by pearly427 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canaletto5

Re: Need help - perhaps starter clutch

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like that the transfer gear mount has come loose. It is held by two machine screws to the inner casing and is known to work loose if it hasn't had threadlock applied when some-one has rebuilt it. This sits behind the points cover.

The photo shows the mount, it is part number 16
GT550 transfer gear.jpg
Kev
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I would Deffo take off the clutch cover to check everything is okay inside and not fouled in any way. As Kev says if that idler gear has worked loose it will make that sound.
Incidently does it sound like this?
https://youtu.be/tNltXg4ZaB4
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
pearly427

Post by pearly427 »

Thanks guys, going to have to look of course. Problem is, it’s very hot here now in the eastern U.S. Might have to wait until sun down. No, the sound is nothing like that above. It sounds perfectly normal for 4-5 seconds after I push start button. Then it makes one intermediate clack noise right as it’s about to fire up. Then I get scared and release the button, lol !
Maybe, I ll try to add a video during the hot day, before I go much further. I know, based on a few attempts. The bike will definitely start. But, I’m afraid to further damage anything.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Don't try and start it again before checking under the cover, it could prove very expensive. Kev
pearly427

Post by pearly427 »

Welp, great news. You guys were exactly correct. I have the cover off now and can see the idler gear is cock-eyed where it meets the starter gear. Good thing I didn’t rap on it too long or too many times. It’s still in great shape from I can see without the clutch basket removed. Heck, I even managed to save the clutch cover gasket. I hate peeing around with clutch baskets. But, now is a good time to see which starter clutch I have. I was going to rap on that starter a few more times. But, if you’ve worked on old bikes. You’ve learned, if something ain’t right don’t make it worst. Fix it, because it’s not gonna go away. You can often save yourself more grief, time and money if you look at something right away. These clutch parts on these bikes aren’t easy to find either.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Great news, easy fix :)
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Result! Good save.... :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
pearly427

Post by pearly427 »

Welp, now that the clutch basket is off. I don’t think that was it after all. I can hit starter motor a dozen times and watch the idler gear. It makes no noise and works flawlessly. No visible issues under clutch cover. No bits of metal, nothing. The starter motor has a bit of wear on its gear. But, nothing alarming. Only thing I haven’t checked is the screws you guys mentioned behind idler gear.
Explain this one, my gear indicator quit working 3 or 4 years ago. I assumed it was the bulb. Removed clutch today, now it’s working for the first time, ha ha
So, I guess it was worth it. I’m shocked, I found nothing making the sound. I know something’s not right. I’m only pulling this out of the air. Have you guys ever had a condenser make a sound ? Because with the points cover off, when I cranked the engine over. That’s exactly where the sound is was coming from. But, I assumed it was behind the clutch cover. Everything on the points plate is under several years old and in excellent condition. So, I don’t understand what’s possibly making the sound ?
barney01

Post by barney01 »

There is a nylon gear that is behind the points plate. They can break. Check that next
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE