Why do points spark very bright ?

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
pearly427

Why do points spark very bright ?

Post by pearly427 »

Correct me if I’m wrong, Points spark very bright because they need cleaned better ? I did some maintenance on the points and addressed everything and even though I cleaned them there might be some oil on them ? I know anytime they visibly spark a lot you have problems. Cleaning them usually fixes that. I tried paper but they are still sparking quite a bit.
barney01

Re: Why do points spark very bright ?

Post by barney01 »

Points do spark. Basically they are a switch. Power flows when they are closed and when they open the coil fires the plug.. If they spark excessively then it's possible the condenser needs replacing. The condenser prevents the contacts burning during the switching process so if there are excess sparks it's likely the condenser is failing.
The only way to clean modern points is with clean white card until no residue is left. Any type of abrasive paper will damage the face of the plated contacts and they won't work
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
pearly427

Re: Why do points spark very bright ?

Post by pearly427 »

Thank you, she’s good now. I cleaned them a few times a couple days ago with a business card and I guess that wasn’t good enough. I just used compressed air a few laps. She’s a runner now. No more excessive sparks.