380 running backwards help

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Swainy3

380 running backwards help

Post by Swainy3 »

Hi guys
I have been doing a resto on my 380 and have fitted a accent ignition set up per instructions
On starting up after been left over night or a long period it runs backwards let the clutch out and it actually goes back
Turn off re start and goes forward . I have read a post saying the timing could be to far advanced ?
Would I need to move the timing plate forward or back ? Clock wise or anti clock wise As the pick up turns backwards ? Many thanks Andy
teazer

Re: 380 running backwards help

Post by teazer »

Rotate the backing plate in the direction that the engine rotates to retard the timing.

But more to the point, what is it set at now and how did you set it?
Swainy3

Post by Swainy3 »

The engine ? Or the timing end as they go different ways
It has accent electric ign and it’s set up as per instruction timing on c and rotate units led lighted up
pearly427

Post by pearly427 »

Very easy fix. Put the bike on its center stand before you start it, Before it’s started, have the ignition cover removed. Barely crack loose the 3 screws that hold the timing plate on. Loose enough that you can move the plate by hand. But, no so loose it can move on its own. Turn the plate in the direction the crank turns to retard. Use a timing light gun to dial it in as you turn it. Once you shut the bike off and restart it. It will permanently fix the backwards running.
Pistons get holed by severe advancement if running for prolonged periods. It’s nothing to worry about, as long as it’s corrected. There’s a few ways to properly time an engine. Every engine ever designed works exactly the same. Barely turn the plate a hair at a time.
Swainy3

Post by Swainy3 »

Does that still apply when it has electronic ignition ?
pearly427

Post by pearly427 »

Yes, as long as the electric ignition has three elongated slots that attach the base plate like the original one has. And according to the Googled image that I searched, it does.
pearly427

Post by pearly427 »

I’m from the U.S. and would like a electric ignition. I visited the Accent website and it shows they are available for 750 and 380’s. Why not the 550 ?
teazer

Post by teazer »

On mine the LED doesn't do what they say. on mine the instructions said the LED goes out at the point of firing and it actually goes ON at that moment.

But it has to be timed with a dial gauge on the crank nose or with a dial gauge. Do not reply on the three bladed "propeller". It is not accurate. Some are OK and others are quite a way off.

They do have one for the 550, email Uwe and ask him.
Swainy3

Post by Swainy3 »

Thanks for the replies it’s stopped running backwards need to vac the carbs now and run though a few basics