GT250M fuel tap petcock

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
redliner

GT250M fuel tap petcock

Post by redliner »

Hi all - quick question for anyone familiar with GT250M's ..

The vacuum petcock fuel tap (the one which uses two bolts to fit to tank) - does anyone know of an aftermarket non-vacuum petcock alternative available to fit this model?

I've had it with the crap OEM vacuum ones - they all leak like sieves. :evil:

Thanks
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
barney01

Re: GT250M fuel tap petcock

Post by barney01 »

How about this?
http://www.2takte.de/product_info.php?i ... 0-k-l.html
I have read some owners have used Pingel fuel taps (not cheap) with success if you Google them
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
redliner

Post by redliner »

hi Barney - unfortunately that one's the alternative OEM fitting (single 24mm nut) which you find on some tanks. The one I'm trying to replace (with a non-vacuum type) looks like this one:
s-l640.jpg
It's a lottery which type is fitted to each bike - I've had examples of both petcocks on an assortment of GT250s I've owned, so the hunt goes on. Repair kits are expensive and very often do not actually resolve the problem. Someone would make a pretty profit if they did a modern pattern of the OEM one, or better still, a non-vacuum version of the same.
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
malky

Post by malky »

There is a way of bypassing the vacuum circuit by blocking up one of the ports in the tap which turns the tap in to a normal on off reserve one but I cant remember which ports you block off - I'm sure I saw it on here or the Sundial forum - had trouble with the T500 one leaking a d fitted one of the Harley type ones but they were a screw thread
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Watch here for help
https://youtu.be/5Ica9z4-3sY
The other fix is remove the tap block the reserve feed hole next to the long brass tube using JB weld or similar then use reserve position for off. Just remember you have no reserve but i use odometer trip to refill anyway
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
redliner

Post by redliner »

barney & malky - thanks for the responses.
No doubt I'm going to have to try and repair these bloody things unless I can find a non-vacuum alternative off another bike, so the search goes on. Not going down the NOS route (again) the one on there now was one of those - cost a small fortune and leaked within a day of installing it. Repair kits a cheaper option, even if they don't always work. Just a PITA to have to keep doing this.
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5