GT550 Starter Clutches (and other harder to find bits...)

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
2StrokeDreamer

Re: GT550 Starter Clutches (and other harder to find bits...)

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

Nice one, thank you chaps for putting my mind at ease - I'm comfortable in the knowledge that one way or another I'll be able to get the engine bits that I need if/when I need them :)

Now for the agonising wait for a) getting the keys to my house, and b) then tracking down a suitable doner (got my eyes on a couple that have been up for a while, but who knows if they'll still be there in a couple of months!).

Btw, I've noticed some cheaper imports on ebay that have a lot of pieces missing, including engine pieces like carbs and engine side covers - they seem to be fairly available, and I'd guess that getting custom side covers made up wouldn't be a huge challenge? Carbs also seem to be reasonably available, does that sound about right? Any modern(ish) alternatives that can be used (with or without modifications)?

The attractiveness of those particular bikes is the price but also the fact that they're missing so many pieces that they're not ideal for a restore to factory condition, which is not what I'm aiming to do for my first build (I'll be going for more of a custom build - I hesitate to say cafe racer, but that's probably the category it'd be lumped into). An engine and frame would be enough for me (I have looked for those separately, but can't find a complete engine, only bits - would rather not have to try and build one up from scratch with parts from all over - at least not this time around!).
barney01

Post by barney01 »

You can always get access to carbs . Contact Baz on here by PM he also can service and refurb any you find :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

Nice, good to know.
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

I've been in touch with twowheelspares on ebay who have an engine, frame, & tank available for £700. The engine is missing the carbs, and appears to be missing the cover to the oil pump (though it looks like the pump itself is there - I've asked for closeup photos).

Since I'm intending to do a totally custom build rather than a restoration, should I be particularly concerned about getting the ignition/charging electrics - seems like there are 3rd party alternatives available anyway? How about any other non-obvious ancillaries? I've been looking over parts diagrams and I can't really come up with anything else.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Plenty of oil pump covers around - I have 'several' if you need one. Also other 550 covers and stuff. Wiring is available after market yoo, but carbs are rare and expensive. Baz on here refurbs them - not cheap, but worth it and they look like new and run straight out of the box.
Have a look at my 'Earwig' thread for a non standard 550 build. http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... lit=Earwig
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

Cheers Alan. Aye, I wasn't surprised that the carbs were missing. I've stumbled upon Baz's shop on ebay, looks like he's got a set up there at the moment - yep they're pricey, but then again my other option is to buy a whole 'barn find' at £2500 to get what I'm after which would be what I'm getting for £700 + carbs + a whole lot of parts that I don't need/want (and as a complete-ish barn find it's probably better served as a resto). Even £700 for the engine/frame/tank is probably a bit up there, but that's price of a passion for two strokes in 2019, I guess :D

I wonder if these carbs are salvagable: https://ebay.us/yKQqq9 :lol:

I had picked up on bits and pieces of that thread (and I was reading the 'Yeti' one over on Sundial Moto Sports). I'll have a more complete read through :)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just speak to Baz, he's ok with prices really. Better to go direct via pm than going through ebay. http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/m ... rofile&u=2

My first 550 resto was this one -
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... =16&t=2396 which may interest you - you'll have to ignore all the abuse mind!
All the restos were on here with more detail (and banter) as well as Sundial
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

Cheers Alan, I'll speak to Baz if/when I get this frame/engine/tank combo (seems like I'll probably go for it) - will be good to nab some carbs while they're available, then the project can go on hold until I've sorted out my other bike (fairs fair - it was there first!).