GT550 Carbs - early vs late (ganged)

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
slosher

Re: GT550 Carbs - early vs late (ganged)

Post by slosher »

2StrokeDreamer wrote: hey slosher, wanna part ways with your frankenstein A motor there? :lol:
Hi Stroker it's always nice to know there is a spare available even as a donor,couple of hundred quid of starter clutch in my Frankenstein :lol: :lol: Haaar much as Alan would say :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

slosher wrote:
2StrokeDreamer wrote: hey slosher, wanna part ways with your frankenstein A motor there? :lol:
Hi Stroker it's always nice to know there is a spare available even as a donor,couple of hundred quid of starter clutch in my Frankenstein :lol: :lol: Haaar much as Alan would say :lol:
Aye, fair dos!
I already know that I'm getting the old starter clutch with mine, and I think I'm going to run it without an electric start entirely - I really don't want to run the risk of it coming apart, especially while I don't have a spare motor (altough that'll probably change well before I ever have the bike running - this project will take a couple of years at least, I'm sure). Also I get quite a kick out of kickstarting a bike :lol:

Edit: Oh and having no electric start means I can probably run one of those tiny Shorai (or equiv) batteries and tuck it away out of sight (this will likely be a no-side covers project so I'll be wanting to hide the battery in the tail piece, probably).
2StrokeDreamer

Post by 2StrokeDreamer »

Alan H wrote:If you need a motor for spares - or just spares, I have 'some'!
Motor cranks will probably need work though as they have been stood for yonks.
I have diesel soaked cranks and they've run ok for several thousand miles, so that might be worthwhile to try.
Depends on how economical you are with the old dosh - as a Glasweigian, I guess you'll be close to us Yorkies on the economy mode..... :roll: :lol:
Almost missed this!
Good to know. I'll have exhausted the current project budget for a while after purchasing these starter donor bits (which is currently sitting at around £0 yet I've somehow managed to find the funds...), particularly while I get into my new house, and maybe plan for a summer holiday (it's a hard life), but I will definitely be looking to stockpile a small amount of engine spares - I intend for this to be a forever bike, so I want to keep it running for that long...

Not quite Glaswegian, though I am doing a decent job of integrating. I'm a Kiwi, with enough Scottish ancestry to be 'close enough' (particularly when it comes to being, er, 'thrifty') - just not quite the right accent!

In saying that, the initial build of this project is going to get the 5-star treatment, hence why it may take a few years to complete - I want this bike to be a magnum opus, of sorts, along with its 4-stroke compadre the Ducati Monster :mrgreen:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

slosher wrote: Hi Stroker it's always nice to know there is a spare available even as a donor,couple of hundred quid of starter clutch in my Frankenstein :lol: :lol: Haaar much as Alan would say :lol:
Oh, I'll give you a couple of hundred for it (all!) :shock: :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
slosher

Post by slosher »

Alan H wrote:
slosher wrote: Hi Stroker it's always nice to know there is a spare available even as a donor,couple of hundred quid of starter clutch in my Frankenstein :lol: :lol: Haaar much as Alan would say :lol:
Oh, I'll give you a couple of hundred for it (all!) :shock: :lol:

Typical Yorkie :roll: Suppose you would want the Nikasil barrels off the top end of the "A" motor too :lol: :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Only, and I mean this most sincerely - if you say 'Oh, go on then!' :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated