Suzuki gt550 rear shocks

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Frankibaby7

Suzuki gt550 rear shocks

Post by Frankibaby7 »

]
20200308_151443.jpg
:tw hi guys , does anyone know an easy way to release the rear shocks to insert a grab rail ,I just purchased from classic racks, I dont want to bash the shocks from the wheel side ,because of damaging what crome there is on the bloody things lol ,any ideas guys .cheers frank . :D :lol: :oops: :roll:
20200308_151434.jpg
Last edited by Frankibaby7 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankibaby :lol:
stevewharton

Re: Suzuki gt550 rear shocks

Post by stevewharton »

Looking at the stud there seems to be a lot of rust, so I'd get a wire brush on the rust you can see and then spray a liberal dose of penetrant to loosen the shocks. Leave overnight and then use a piece of wood or something similar to hammer/shock against the top of the shock absorber.
Should work okay ;)
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

After using wd40 or similar on the shaft that the shocker is mounted on, put another nut on the threaded end of the shaft, then get a pair of pipe grips and span behind the top of the shock and the outside of the nut you just fitted. Squeeze gently and it should come off. Obviously take the nut off to remove the shock.

Only do 1 at a time, or the bike may roll off the centre stand, and that would cause lots of naughty words! :|
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D thanks very much guys as usual, very helpful, now why didnt I think of that ,cheers gents :D
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:tw :D shocks sorted grab rail on new bushes and new bolts good old Robinson, now dean at discount has gone ,shame ,just waiting for baz to send my carburetors lol then try starting her again yay lol :roll: :shock: :D
20200315_130415.jpg