Oil pipes

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
barney01

Re: Oil pipes

Post by barney01 »

So when you invert the pump and spin it does oil appear at the relevant hole? As kev says did you fill the line with oil before running the motor.
You can just slacken the banjo when the motor runs to see if oil is being pushed through.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

canaletto5 wrote:Hi Nick

Are you filling the lines with oil from a syringe from the distributor end to prime them? Kev
Absolutely, and there's a modicum of resistance as the pressure opens the valve on all of them, so far as I can tell.

Nick
barney01

Post by barney01 »

It has to be remembered that the banjos have two functions. One to prevent oil draining into the cylinders and two they prevent crankcase pressure forcing oil back towards the pump.
This is what you were looking for
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/blog/2 ... ktomysuzy/
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

nickst4 wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:Hi Nick

Are you filling the lines with oil from a syringe from the distributor end to prime them? Kev
Absolutely, and there's a modicum of resistance as the pressure opens the valve on all of them, so far as I can tell.

Nick
That's me out of ideas :lol:
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I primed the oil pump on my T500 off the bike with no pipes on to start until the oil comes through the outlets. Then fit the pipes and repeat, the furthest pipe from the pump did take a while to bleed through. I used an electric screwdriver with a flat bit in it to turn the drive tang. Make sure your turning it the in correct direction or it won’t work! Don’t ask :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

PaulD738 wrote:I primed the oil pump on my T500 off the bike with no pipes on to start until the oil comes through the outlets. Then fit the pipes and repeat, the furthest pipe from the pump did take a while to bleed through. I used an electric screwdriver with a flat bit in it to turn the drive tang. Make sure your turning it the in correct direction or it won’t work! Don’t ask :roll:
Sounds like good advice, apart from the fact that the 550 pump driveshaft doesn't have a drive tang but a loose-fitting pin through a hole. Maybe a bit of vinyl pipe pushed over the end of the shaft and coupled to an electric screwdriver would grip enough to drive it, so long as I remember to put that peg back in before re-fitting the pump!

I'm going to give the method of changing the banjo ends a go on a gash set of 380 pipes: thanks to Barney who posted that. I guess the new banjos I got some years back were from the independent ebay supplier mentioned here. At least they should ensure the back-pressure from the valves will be consistent, which would seem to be important if one pump plunger supplies several pipes.

All good fun. :roll:

Nick
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Paul,

I'm very far from being a cat person (and that's an understatement!) but I love your post-attachment! The detached look on the cat's face is exquisite and so human.

OK, back to the subject. I'll get there eventually, I hope, and enjoy spreading triple-music in my locality, plus as little smoke as possible!

Nick
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Nick, the cat avatar is a reference to my Katana which was christened the Kat by most people. 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

PaulD738 wrote:Nick, the cat avatar is a reference to my Katana which was christened the Kat by most people. 8-)
At least the cat in your avatar is moving. :D
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Update: while handling the pipes prior to attempting to replace the banjo ends, it has finally become clear that three of them are indeed cracked! Naturally, this in the area of bends quite close to the distribution base rather than on the straight sections, so it will be a challenge to repair. If anyone has a decent 550 oil-pipe rig spare, I'd be very grateful and happy to cross their palm in silver at least. Otherwise, hints on repair would be much appreciated!

Nearly there, possibly...

Nick