Oil pipes

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
rodent

Re: Oil pipes

Post by rodent »

itsnotateapot wrote:yes I did this about 5 years ago on my gt185 its still good. ps it does take a decent amount of heat to shrink down.
^^^^Thanks for the reply 8-)

I have a damaged one that I may try to repair, there is a length that is bad that I will replace with some ptfe of the same size and wrap.......fingers crossed :)
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Update:

I ordered some of that 4:1 shrinkwrap, and the only size that would fit over the banjo ends was 12mm diameter. 10mm might be better, but no-one listed it. Anyway, the 12mm shrinks right down to tightly-grip the nylon pipe and reinforce it dramatically, while the adhesive lining should block the splits. I think I could have been more generous over the length of the sections I shrink-wrapped so, just to make sure, I've encapsulated them in Stormsure polyurethane cement which is remarkable stuff for repairing and glueing things. I didn't replace the banjo ends on this occasion as the valves in the old ones seem to be OK and I didn't want to disturb their attachment. Now I need to refit everything and hope the oil pipes stay full!

Nick
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Good to know. Fingers crossed :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
itsnotateapot

Post by itsnotateapot »

nickst4 wrote:Update:

I ordered some of that 4:1 shrinkwrap, and the only size that would fit over the banjo ends was 12mm diameter. 10mm might be better, but no-one listed it. Anyway, the 12mm shrinks right down to tightly-grip the nylon pipe and reinforce it dramatically, while the adhesive lining should block the splits. I think I could have been more generous over the length of the sections I shrink-wrapped so, just to make sure, I've encapsulated them in Stormsure polyurethane cement which is remarkable stuff for repairing and glueing things. I didn't replace the banjo ends on this occasion as the valves in the old ones seem to be OK and I didn't want to disturb their attachment. Now I need to refit everything and hope the oil pipes stay full!

Nick
you can always put a longer piece of shrink wrap over the top of the piece you've put on.
SUZUKI GT750 L 8-)
SUZUKI T500 M 8-)
SUZUKI GT185 K 8-)
Suzuki T500 Cobra 8-) 8-)
Suzuki GTS 500 Hybrid.
Suzuki RG250.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Deep joy! I put all the oil pipes back on, primed them and fitted the pump after running it around with an electric screwdriver until oil appeared at all of the holes rather than just a couple, put the carbs and airbox back on and have just got back from a 30 mile ride. The motor, having had a complete rebuild of crank, pistons and bores, ran very nicely and the oil pipes stayed full! Job done I presume; thank-you to all for advice on the oiling problems.

Now what I have to do is run the GT in and enjoy the music from those three cylinders. So different from all the 4T vee-twins and singles in my collection of oddball bikes!

Thanks again, and I must get the spare pump back to Kev...

Nick
GT550,
Ducati ST4 916
Ducati ST3 996
Ducati Hyperstrada 821,
Ducati S4R Monster 996,
Cagiva 2T Planet 125,
Cagiva Alazzurra 600,
Cagiva Canyon 500,
Cagiva Gran Canyon 904
Cagiva Raptors in 1000 and 650 ,
Gilera NordWest 600,