Re: Suzuki gt550 condensors and points

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D hi guys it's me again ,I have new condensors for my gt550 b 1977 ,is there anyway to check the resistance of the 3 condensors, I've read that over sparking on the opening points is a sign of a bad condensors, and theres more, how do I know what points to get ,I have a pic, and what gap do you advise ,the gap at the moment is about 5 or 6 thou, which looks too small. I'm replacing them because when I was cleaning them with a suggested business card ,the tip came of the right hand points.grrrrrrr lol :D 8-) :lol: :shock: and can you fit the flat condensors on the kokusain setup which mine is ,and yes ive bought the wrong condensors grrrrrr :roll: :oops: :lol:

Cheers guys
20200520_144139.jpg
20200520_144139.jpg
Frankibaby :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Condenser capacity is measured in microfarads, not ohms, so you can't measure the resistance as technically it's open circuit.
Post a picture of your points plate and I'll have a look in the stash to see what I've got. Baz has actually posted my points and condensers back this week, so there'lll be plenty to choose from.
No the condensers won't fit, but I'm sure we can arrange something (a swap maybe?)
Points gap should be 'about' 14 thou or 0.35mm. The 'propeller' behind the points plate and static marker are good enough to time to.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D cheers alan ,yes I've bought the wrong bloody condensors, they are for the denso setup not the kokusain, and new ,that I have ,grrrrrr ,and the points are weird the left and the right are the same ,but the middle cylinder are like a boomerang lol ,if I can swap them would be great, I've ordered the points now . I would like to time the engine properly, with either a strobe or a dail gauge, but I dont think being a saaafaner I could do it alan lol . :D
20200520_144204.jpg
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

It lives :D :roll:

Cheers alan ,I messedup because I thought the left hand points was the right hand points ,so it was going nowhere now ,so sweet .,cheers mate :D
That was a video of it going but dosent seem to work
Attachments
20200606_091956.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Great news. Now get some miles on it!
See you next month at the rally......
Proof that four strokes are over complicated