Mike’s rattling GT550B

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Mike’s rattling GT550B

Post by Alan H »

Did you know that Norfolk is the only county where there's no sex? :?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:Did you know that Norfolk is the only county where there's no sex? :?
Ha ha. Yes, I think that has been mentioned before. :D
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'll probably mention it again too, memory's not what it was - not that it was ever anything to write home about, Fred....... ;)
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Hi folks,
An update on the GT550B. I took it out again yesterday as I’d seen that the weather is to take a downturn. It went great! Did another 30 miles, all in loops no more than three miles from home, as I still don’t trust it fully. Anyway, it started easily on the kickstarter & ran beautifully for over an hour. Motor remained swishy quiet throughout. As I’ve done 125miles on Alan’s 7 port barrels, I’m starting to think that the tweaks Barry & I did a couple of weeks back might have done the trick, and if so, it shows that marginal lubrication can not only lead to failure as we know but can be preceded by irritating noises, in my case sounding like piston slap on left side only.
This time though, I’d adjusted the oil pump to deliver a little more than stock. Then I made a boo boo which resulted in even more oil being delivered! You know you can pull the oil pump cable out if it’s holder in the adjuster? I’d chocked it like that to confirm I could see oil in all four pipes, which I could. Then I forgot to replace the pump cable Into the adjuster, with the effect the pump was at max all the time. I drew disapproving looks from others, and used about a half pint of oil in an hour. Still, it can’t be claimed that the lubrication system doesn’t do what’s asked of it!
I’m keeping the revs to 4500 max in the first three gears and 4000 in 4th & top. These 550s pull well, don’t they? I can feel I’m just on the edge of serious power when I’m forced to change up, but the torque from as low as 2000 in 3rd is impressive & useable. As before, suspension, steering & brakes are very good. I don’t think I’d wish to convert it to twin disc as just the one, well run in, is great. I notice I’m up to 1500 miles on the rebuilt chassis, albeit this is the 3rd time I’ve done the motor (two, full & expensive rebuilds then just an entire top end ex-Alan the last time.
I’m now setting about fixing things I should have done the first time. One is the starter motor, which isn’t great (I regret that I didn’t even inspect it when I did the rebuild). I’ll drop it out and, unless I can spot some weaknesses consistent with low power, I’ll send it off to get reconditioned.
While I’ve got the oil out, I’ll take off the clutch cover & examine the one way clutch, which uses one of those sprag clutches with the mysterious & expensive ring gear https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprag_clutch
Often, when I press the starter button, I’ll hear a whir but it doesn’t always engage. When it does, it often only turns the motor over once, before disengaging. I’m not sure that isn’t all down to a poor starter motor? The battery is near new & is the yellow brick type that is serving all my bikes so well. I put a big one in my GSX1400 last year, as I was noticing the original battery, approaching 13 years old, had just a bit less brio than I’d remembered.
I’m sure there is at least one problem with my electrical starter system, because when I was at Barry’s, he had a customer bike on his bike lift, also a GT550. That bike spun the engine over noticeably faster than mine. It was very handy being able to compare like that.
Cheers all!
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Good to hear there's progress Mike. Told you they go well.
Fetch it up to the Rally - I reckon 550s might outnumber Hippos!
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
I was not posting for a long time, so I’ve missed the details of the rally.
Can you please link me to the relevant thread?
Don’t call, I’m not in any state to chat (pain, innards etc. Bloody bladder).
Cheers!
Mike
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:Good to hear there's progress Mike. Told you they go well.
Fetch it up to the Rally - I reckon 550s might outnumber Hippos!
Looks like these "poor mans kettles" or "imitation kettles" are starting to take over. ;)
Nice bikes but, they'll never have the presence of a proper GT750 kettle. :D
And let me remind you that this is the "KETTLE" clinic, not the 550 clinic and if too many of these inferior machines turn up at the Lincolnshire rally, they'll be sent back to Yorkshire, where as a cheap imitation they were probably bought by every man and his whippet. :lol:
Last edited by stevewharton on Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

yeadon_m wrote:Alan,
I was not posting for a long time, so I’ve missed the details of the rally.
Can you please link me to the relevant thread?
Don’t call, I’m not in any state to chat (pain, innards etc. Bloody bladder).
Cheers!
Mike
Mike, don't take offence at my 550 dig, that was primarily aimed at the Yorkshire "special one". ;)
You and everyone on here are very welcome to join us at the "2020 Lincolnshire rally", and that's the link. :D
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Great news Mike you look like you've finally sorted the 550 out and he does come in handy our Baz :)

Good to hear your coming to the rally too in July and will be glad to see you and your Kettle of course, nice photo too of you and the Kettle.

Regards Jeff
GT750A
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote: Looks like these "poor mans kettles" or "imitation kettles" are starting to take over. ;)
Nice bikes but, they'll never have the presence of a proper GT750 kettle. :D
And let me remind you that this is the "KETTLE" clinic, not the 550 clinic and if too many of these inferior machines turn up at the Lincolnshire rally, they'll be sent back to Yorkshire, where as a cheap imitation they were probably bought by every man and his whippet. :lol:
Well Mike has a 2 bike trailer hasn't he?.......
It'd be nice to have more 550s, and if there's more of them than hippos and whales, then as a democratic society, we might have to change the name.......
Looks like I started something with the Green Meanie back in 2012/14......
Last edited by Alan H on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.