Mike’s rattling GT550B

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Harrymail

Re: Mike’s rattling GT550B

Post by Harrymail »

Hi Mike. Good to see you active again on the forum. I will be following this one with interest as I have in the past, with your troublesome 550. I'm onto the 2nd rebuild in 12 months with mine. Fingers crossed that second time round its sorted. Only done 30 miles on it so far, but I am hopeful it's ok this time. You may have read about my engine under the post "Oh dear GT550 Engine not sounding good". Baz posted and documented the rebuild in the post.

Paul
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

crazy4557 wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:
crazy4557 wrote:Glad to hear your 550 is not having a hissy fit again Mike.

I've got a similar issue but I think oil delivery, what is the process for checking oil delivery to the cylinders via the spider? My new engine runs OK, sounds good but the offside outer cylinder runs hot like 158 degrees against 120 or less for the other two and v little smoke from the tailpipe. The other two cylinders are pumping smoke nicely. These temps are from a bike that's been runs for 2-3 minutes only.

Sorry to barge in on your parade :o
It looks like that pot might be running lean? Just check the plug to see if it is normal lightish brown. if it is white then the carb may need adjusting. Kev
Thanks Kev, carbs rebuilt by Baz so assuming/hoping they are correctly setup but I'll pull a plug and see.
Baz does a great job (Done three sets of mine including my GS750) As the engine settles down it is often necessary to do final tweaks on carb settings
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

I found a missing 0 ring from the top of the spider that relates to the rh cylinder and oil on the top of the crankcase... WTF!!! I can't believe I made such a rookie error. Replaced that and tested the oil feed at the cylinder base, it was working fine so I'm sure with a leak and no o ring this would be the cause.
I'll go and stand in the corner with dunce hat on for half an hour :roll: :roll:
1976 GT550A in black
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Thanks chaps, appreciated the replies.
Paul, I’ll hunt out your thread.
Cheers!
Mike
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Paul,
I read the entire thread on your double rebuild with a strong feeling of deja vu all over again.
It knocks your confidence when after what seems the ultimate rebuild, you get a problem like we’ve had.
Here we are mid-summer: how is your Naughty Step bike behaving now?
Cheers,
Mike
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

yeadon_m wrote:Paul,
I read the entire thread on your double rebuild with a strong feeling of deja vu all over again.
It knocks your confidence when after what seems the ultimate rebuild, you get a problem like we’ve had.
Here we are mid-summer: how is your Naughty Step bike behaving now?
Cheers,
Mike
So far, its ok. But I've only done 20 miles this year. Firstly due to the lockdown, and now I have a wrist injury, which is my clutch hand. Hopefully by next week I will be out on the bike and can put some miles on it. At the moment its oil tight, has an even tick-over and is reasonably quiet. There is a little top end rattle when revving, but its only slight. I can live with that if its ok otherwise. In the future I can always look again at the top end. Its been done with Cruzin Image pistons. It may settle down with a few miles. The bad vibration at 5,000 rpm after the first rebuild has gone. So all in all I'm happy with it at this point.

Paul
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Oh no Paul, I hope it's nothing too serious, will you be okay for the rally in July?
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

He be used to rattling by the end of the rally if he stays close to you, Steve. :shock:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:He be used to rattling by the end of the rally if he stays close to you, Steve. :shock:
Better than prattling. :shock:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

stevewharton wrote:Oh no Paul, I hope it's nothing too serious, will you be okay for the rally in July?
It's a nerve trapped in my wrist Steve. Got it strapped at the moment. Hoping that with rest it will right itself. Regarding the rally, I have a holiday booked in Norfolk that week. It could be cancelled because of restrictions, but if it is I expect the rally would be too :cry: