GT380 Carb Issue

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
dreschr

GT380 Carb Issue

Post by dreschr »

I’m having issues with carbs after an engine rebuild, the carbs were sent to a local two stroke workshop for vapour cleaning and rebuild and I also fitted an electronic ignition. On com[letion of the rebuild the engine it started very easily on middle and right cylinder but the left was cold, checked for a spark on that cylinder and it was very strong. I removed the carbs as one had a leak form the overflow, disappointingly I found that the float was partially full of petrol and the original gasket re-used I therefore replaced all floats purchased from ebay. I removed the air pilot screw and main jet and used compressed air to give them a clean through. Carbs back on the bike and started the engine with no air box, it started good on middle and right and the left also started but was "popping" when I refitted the air box the left again wouldn’t run.
All pilots set at 1 1/2 turns out. The expensive carb rebuild appears to have not included new parts??? so my next plan is to buy a complete set of parts and rebuild please can anyone advise which kit is suitable/proven and what else i should do to get the engine "running" smoothly on all three??
Regards- Rich
Alan H

Re: GT380 Carb Issue

Post by Alan H »

After much faffing about in the past with carbs on an early GT550, I now just send (or take) them to Baz and they come back looking better than new and work!
In fact I fitted a set of Baz'd 550 carbs to the Earwig yesterday and she fired up and ran lovely. Any downsides? Well the tickover was 1500rpm instead of 1100rpm and I did have to pay him....... ;)
Biggest problem with after market carb kits is that they aren't Mikuni and basically are 'less than optimal' - or crap in layman's terms.
Most carbs are just dirty inside, but after soaking in thinners, spraying through jets with carb cleaner (so that you can actually see if they are clear with an even spray through) - you can't do that with compressed air - and fit the original jets, you might have a chance.
Or just send them to Baz.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Re: GT380 Carb Issue

Post by barney01 »

Thought i was going mad? Sure i posted a reply on this already? There are 2 live posts same subject :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE