Stator output

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Clubserpent

Stator output

Post by Clubserpent »

I’m having problems with my gt550. Fuse in injection switch burning out,the wire heats up. I’d like to know the output in volts and ohms that the stator should be putting out, so I can see if that’s the problem or rather the rectifier or something else. Cheers!
Alan H

Re: Stator output

Post by Alan H »

Sounds like you have an issue 'Snakey'.
First of all, it's nice to say hello and let folks know who you are and a bit about your bike experience. You might be local to someone who can call around and sort your problems out, so a general area that you live is also nice. How technical are you? It's pointless anyone giving you a detailed answer that you don't understand.
Not sure what an injection switch is as there's no injectors on a 550, and as for stator output, it doesn't output ohms, only volts and amps, so I'm guessing you aren't very knowledgeable when it comes to electrics. Have you just got the bike or have you been modifying stuff?
Perhaps if you start again, we might be able to help.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Clubserpent

Post by Clubserpent »

Thanks for the pointers. You can tell I’m new at this! Ok, I’m from the province of Quebec in Canada. I have a Gt550 1975 that I picked up almost 2years ago. My 2nd bike when I was young was a 1973 550, so I wanted to get that sound and feeling back! It wasn’t in running condition but after some repairs such as carbs and gas tanks, it was doing pretty well until the electrical problems began. First it didn’t seem to be charging properly since the engine would soon sputter out shortly after putting on the lights. I changed the battery but then the ignition fuse would give out. I have someone who is knowledgeable on bike and electrics but not so much with the English language so I’ll pass on the info to him. So, I guess the voltage and amps put out by the stator and also maybe the rectifier would be a good start. I’d also like to get my hands on a Suzuki Gt shop Manuel of some sort. Thanks to any one that give me a heads up. Cheers!
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Pop round and sort it out Alan
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Let me have your email address and I'll send a digital copy of an early manual for all models. Some of it is still relevant (especially electrical and tests of stator/rotor etc. and engine specs).
There's lots on the forum if you do a search (top left under the logo, the 3 lines next to Quick links) then search, then 'what you want to search for'.
All straightforward. I've done some write-ups about the charging system and rectifiers, so as I say, there's lots there.
Manuals can be bought on ebay, Haynes is OK and Clymer is fair, but take them both with a pinch of salt!
A parts manual is handy too and gives exploded diagrams (handy when rebuilding !) and part numbers, as does this site - http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm - click the link, then year, model and 'area' of the bike, e.g. clutch or whatever.

You should have an email anyway.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Clubserpent

Post by Clubserpent »

Thanks again Alan. I’ll be looking through some of your suggested links but in any case, I think this forum will turn out to be a great place to share a common interest in bikes.
Cheers!
Clubserpent

Post by Clubserpent »

Hi everyone. Alan shared a shop Manuel for Suzuki’s. Since I have an electrical problem and I want to Know the Desired output of the stator. According to the Manuel, it depends whether I have a denso or kokusan stator. Does anyone know if a gt550 1975 would have which of these two stators. Thanks!
barney01

Post by barney01 »

They fitted both types to all years look at the photos to see which you have
Attachments
KOKUSAN
KOKUSAN
DENSO
DENSO
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Clubserpent

Post by Clubserpent »

Hey thanks so much for the diagrams. That should clear it up!