gt250 rectifier

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
garyb

gt250 rectifier

Post by garyb »

hi all

have been asked to look at the wiring on a 1976 gt250, when he turned it on the rectifier started smoking!! never a good thing. looking at the wiring diagram it looks like a single phase rectifier and should be easily replaced with a standard rectifier from maplins or rs, the only thing is there is no voltage regulator on the wiring diagram i have been given, does this mean it is built into the generator or that being a single phase generator it does not need a regulator? also does anybody know what current the original rectifier was designed for so i can get an equivalent or higher rated one?

thanks

garyb
Alan H

Re: gt250 rectifier

Post by Alan H »

The battery should act as a regulator for smaller generators. What output is the genny? If nothing better, then either a solid state regulator/rectifier unit or a zener diode with heat sink would do the trick. Any rectifier should be double the current carrying capacity than you actually 'need'.

Thinking about it, the genny would be at least two phases, one to each feed side of the rectifier and two (one earth) out. The centre tag would be positive and earth negative. Not seen a diagram so that's a best guess.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
garyb

Re: gt250 rectifier

Post by garyb »

thanks alan, the wiring diagram i have is from a haynes manual and for the us market a zener diode was fitted but not the european model. i will have a look at the bike during the week to see if it has one or not, will also see if i can find what the output of the generator is. the diagram shows four coils, one feeds the ac side of rectifier and the other three are shorted together and fed through the lights on switch then to the rectifier to provide the extra oomph under load. have just looked on ebay and there are several solid state ones that fit the bill for about £30 so will most likely fit one of these.

thanks

garyb