What is the GT380 M float height

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
sportston

What is the GT380 M float height

Post by sportston »

Could anyone tell me the float height on a GT380 M please? Also is it set with the carb on its side or upside down?
(this is the one with all three carbs linked together with the rubber boots on the top. NOT the type with 3 individual throttle cables)
Thanks
Tom
gtkeith

Re: What is the GT380 M float height

Post by gtkeith »

sportston

Post by sportston »

Yes that was very helpful. Deciphering that, it would seem it is measured upside down and the height is 25.8mm from top of float to gasket fitting surface. Super!
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Tilt the carb so that the tang on the float is just touching but not compressing the sprung float needle end , and set to stock float height! If you do it fully inverted the fuel height will be too much and it will run rich! Mike
sportston

Post by sportston »

yeadon_m wrote:Tilt the carb so that the tang on the float is just touching but not compressing the sprung float needle end , and set to stock float height! If you do it fully inverted the fuel height will be too much and it will run rich! Mike
Oh right. Thanks. The doc above is most misleading then. In it the picture shows an upside down carb. I know most bike carbs prefer to be on their side but not all. May I be so bold as to ask your source?
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

The Suzuki 380/550/750 carb manual itself! the pictures do show it fully inverted. But the words say, and I quote:
"with the carb tilted at 10-30 degrees from vertical, measure the distance from the gasket surface to the top of the float. Adjustment can be made by bending the float arm as necessary'.
It would have helped if they explained why...
Cheers,
Mike
sportston

Post by sportston »

Oh triffic. Thanks again Mike. I've got a Clymer manual for the gt380 but it is an early one and doesn't cover my later style carbs.
arthur

Post by arthur »

I know this is a very old post but I am having trouble with my carbs
When you say the height is measured from the gasket face is that with or without the gasket installed?
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Without the gasket. Hold the carb in front of you with the float hanging down. The tang on the float should just be touching the float needle valve. Measure to the top of the float.
Here is the carb manual
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/gt/manuals/su ... /cover.htm
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
arthur

Post by arthur »

Excellent !!