J/K exhausts modified for A

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
ringdingding

Re: J/K exhausts modified for A

Post by ringdingding »

Loving that modified bracket :-) Like the idea of a plywood template - that will be something to try.

Thanks,
Steve
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Martin,

LMAB main pipes are all the same as each other; J/K are the same as each other. So just two types. I sold a near-NOS LH LMAB 380 pipe a few years back. I doubt there are many true NOS late-380 pipes left on the planet and most of those I have stumbled on over the last ten years have been those with tiny flaws, perhaps the reason why they were not sold.

Good luck!
Mike
oldjapanesebikes

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

wardy wrote: I think the result is excellent and would have no hesitation in fitting these different pipes again...
I agree - nicely done !! Image Image
==================================
Ian
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

yeadon_m wrote:Martin,

LMAB main pipes are all the same as each other; J/K are the same as each other. So just two types. I sold a near-NOS LH LMAB 380 pipe a few years back. I doubt there are many true NOS late-380 pipes left on the planet and most of those I have stumbled on over the last ten years have been those with tiny flaws, perhaps the reason why they were not sold.

Good luck!
Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice but a different part number is shown for the B model. I'm sure I've also heard that B exhausts are different to L, M and A exhausts. Not sure what the difference is but hopefully someone can tell me. Is the number stamped on the exhaust (pictured) the same as on yours.

Kind Regards

Martin
Attachments
Exhausts 2.png
exhaust 1.JPG
Exhausts.png
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Martin,
Ah yes, I remember now. As best as I could conclude, the part number for the inners does indeed change with the B, but there are no visible differences. One bulletin I read suggested that the diameter of the hole in the earliest baffle plate near the motor was a few mm different than earlier versions. Whether this was a manufacturing change with a purpose or not, I've had both types on my B and could detect no differences in sound or function. I don't think the exterior stamping changed LMA to B. I am sure you can fit with confidence whether or not its a B specific pipe provided its not J/K!
Cheers,
Mike
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hi martin/mike

as you know i have a 380, it is one of the very last to be registered in the country, my exhaust system is the one that come on the bike from new. can you let me know if your lower silencers are stamped with the logo and info etc...the lower ones on mine have no marking at all but i have seem lower marked up ones on 380 lm and a models.

also can you let me know if the front brake caliper has the finned top or just plain, as i think the very late bayonet petrol tank filler cap b model has slight modifications over the early b models.

any info as always is appreciated.

thanks, john
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

John,

My lowers are also stamped. I bought those from Reiner many years back and didn't then record the part number in the nice NOS packages :-)

My calliper top is finned.

Cheers,
Mike
Attachments
Extra shots GT380B.JPG
Extra shots GT380B (6).JPG
GT380c

Post by GT380c »

hi mike.

thanks for the reply, suzuki stopped stamping the very late lower exhauts and also used a slightly modified front caliper, more simply looking with the fins taken off, but these mods are only on the flat petrol cap tank models.

bike looks great by the way...

john
wardy

Re: J/K exhausts modified for A gt380

Post by wardy »

Hi Guys!... I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm probably after the Holy Grail!
Has anyone got a decent r/h upper pipe for a 380?.. preferably for a late model as mine's a " A ",, however I would take one from a j or k as I've made one to fit before( see this post)
Chrome must be good, and no rattles!
A n.o.s. one would be great, but what chance that nowadays!
Cheers everyone.
Andy
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)