Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
JOHNJENKS66

Re: Earwig

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Alan H wrote:Well after a few days in the garage in between rainstorms (can't get the bikes out to work on anything if it's raining) managed to get the V8 running.
I suppose I should have taken pics, but I got some rawlbolts with 'eyes' in to hold the motor with chains in case it wanted to do a Guy Martin and bugger off when running. The motor now starts (on easy start) but won't tick over due to blocked jets in the carb I would think. So if there are no offers in the next few days, I'll strip the carb (Weber/Edelbrock 4 barrel 500cfm jobby) and have another try in a couple of weeks after the rally, then it should start and tick over.
It looked quite impressive with foot log flames coming out of the 4-1 headers when it fired up. Scared the crap out of the next door but one neighbours who were sat outside dozing in the sun! They thought the RAF were doing a low flyby!!

Then next job, why the earwig won't run.
Found out there wasn't any sparks at the plugs and also the throttle which had been a bit stiff from day 1 was really hard to turn, so off with the points cover and no lekky there.
Next, tank off to check connectors and no lekky to the coils.
Now to get in the headlight.
First take the fairing off, and then the headlight front, split the joint from the right hand handlebar switch and no power from the orange and white.
Strange, the lekky start works?
Strip the twistgrip off after loosening the carb cables and eventually found one of the three wires had been broken and the other two damaged.
Looks like old damage so how and when that occurred I've no idea, and strangely, the outer sheath shows no signs of damage which is why I used it.
So a piece of 1mm three core that I had handy was soldered into the housing and all crimped up.
Connected up and fired up straight away with none of the clattering noises that I had the other day. Strange.
Found out the first (pull) cable on the throttle was stiff and the inner had jammed it from moving smoothly, so after thin oil, oily oil and a lot of swearing not improving matters enough, I ordered another cable which will be here tomorrow hopefully.
So then all the fairing, LED lights, tank and other bits can go back on and we will have three bikes running again.
Just need a back indicator to replace the damaged one and 'might' be here this week so will be back on the road. (or bodge the damaged one temporarily!)

All this after physio on the knee and running to Holmfirth area to buy a new phone to replace the dying one. Busy day!!!
I bet your so glad your retired now Alan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
teazer

Post by teazer »

And what, pray tell, were the results from the dyno test with Stock pipes, Piper and Mick Abey pipes?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Have you not been reading my posts?
I haven't had time to do any dyno runs what with buying another bike, having holidays and having my knee replaced.
Chuffin' kids!!! :roll:

I'll get round to the tech stuff as soon as I can - after the TT in any case.
I'm as interested as you though.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well after two weeks away from the garage, I've had a look at the spannies on the Earwig and decided that they look a bit tatty and not good enough to be kept in their current condition (shame I know) so they're coming off and getting ceramic coated.
Might go for the stainless lookalike coating and see what that looks like. Or Titanium. Or Cerachrome. Or.......

http://www.camcoat.com/main/coatings7.html

Hmmm.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Taken to CamCoat today so we'll see what we see soon.
In the meantime, new throttle cable and new sprocket to fit.
Must be ready for the Classic TT and it's only 30 sleeps.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Spannies back today and fitted. New sprocket fitted so it should be about right gearing now.
Some other little bits to do, but that's it externally (I hope!)
Did 'Cermakrome' this time - http://www.camcoat.com/main/coatings6.html .
I like it anyway!
Used Cam Coat ( http://www.camcoat.com/ )again and very happy with price and quality, we'll see how it looks after a light spanking in the next few days!
Attachments
Ceramic spannies 1.jpg
Ceramic spannies 2.jpg
Ceramic spannies 3.jpg
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Tiz a thing of beauty 8-) and I really like that chrome coating, very nice Alan
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Keithfgb

Post by Keithfgb »

That looks the biz Alan,very nice.
It'll go eventually.
RickyPell50

Post by RickyPell50 »

Alan THAT looks a lot better nice one.........Rick
Prlong

Post by Prlong »

Alan H,

I have been following this thread.
How much did they charged you to coat the headers?

I was thinking of having my ones done by http://www.performance1coatings.com?
Anyone have tried them?

Cheers