Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Earwig

Post by Alan H »

Full price for 3 spannies, 3 down pipes and 3 screwed flanges to hold the down pipes to the barrels was just under £200 + vat.
Bit cheaper if you don't go for CeraKrome finish, but talk to the guy and you may be pleasantly surprised.
They are very helpful and excellent quality of work.
http://www.camcoat.com/ in Warrington.
They lightly blast what you take to give a 'key' for the stuff they put on, then bake it at 'very hot degrees'!
So if your exhaust is manky, it'll still be manky with a pretty overcoat and won't look too good I'd imagine.
Make it pretty first or they'll do it for a price.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

And after a few issues with slipping clutch - hopefully sorted with new clutch plates, better clutch springs and an extra metal clutch plate, it will be in the Isle of Man for the Classic TT in a couple of days time.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Nice one Alan, let's hope you have decent weather while your there and don't forget to post lots of piccies so us poor unfortunates who can't go can see what they are missing :(
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

Alan H wrote:And after a few issues with slipping clutch - hopefully sorted with new clutch plates, better clutch springs and an extra metal clutch plate, it will be in the Isle of Man for the Classic TT in a couple of days time.

maybe it's the oil :D :D

Well Suzuki knew what they were designed for as this service sheet says.
I've always used 20w/50 in the 550s and never had problems.
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

20w50 in as usual. Hopefully will be ok now.
The brand new clutch plates were only (each) 4 thou thicker than minimum spec.
I put an extra steel plate in (2mm thick) to make up the difference with 'proper thickness' plates, and some stronger springs as well.
When I get back some better plates will be sourced.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Last time out, the lekky leg wasn't too happy doing what it was employed to do, so as there were other bikes to ride and jobs to do, I left it until this week to have a look. So this week, I removed all the gubbins to let me have a look inside the clutch compartment and had the big whirly lump off and onto the bench to see what's what.
Looks like the 'fingers' on the Borg Warner bit have worn a bit and aren't gripping the centre to spin the engine when the go button is pressed. Bugger, thought I, but not to worry, I've got the spare engine that I got off Baz some time ago that we don't know the 'parentage' of.
So I had the cover off that and whipped the clutch off smartish.
Darn, and double darn, it's the old type with the rear 'triangular' plate on the back slightly loose. Hmmm.
Let's have a look in the spares box then. A full engine with clutch plus a 'new style' starter clutch on it in better nick than the original one, so I reckon that will do the job and the 'old style' one can get wrapped up and stashed for future use. I must admit, I like the old style unit and never actually had any probs with mine - in fact there's one on the Green Meanie and (touch wood) never given any problems, although I think a well charged Motobatt does help with that.
Unfortunately, 'tis snowing today so I ain't going in the garage to get froz, so the remantling will have to wait a bit.
I'm sure I was talking to someone recently that reckoned these starter clutches can be repaired, but can I hellers like remember who or where that was.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
If its the Borg Warner ring device thats snafu'd, Reiner sells them. I replaced mine when I rebuilt the 550B.
Cheers,
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Cheers Mike, I'll have a butchers.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
As at May 2015, Reiner holds 12650-34020 at EU 29.
Looking at them closely, they're a thing of *wonder.
Mike
(*in that I wonder HTH they actually work!)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh, I know how they work, and I'll have a couple (if he has them) to sort both clutches out.
In fact, I might go into the clutch refurb business!
I've sent him an email, so we'll see what appertains.