Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Earwig

Post by Alan H »

o again.
Let's see how long this one takes.........
Attachments
Pair.jpg
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Re: Earwig

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
Maybe an 'even slower starting' thread, extending to next Easter perhaps?
:-)
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

It's started already with some carbs.
Not started 'started', but started as in the rebuild is started.
You'll work it out when I do............
Attachments
carbs 1.jpg
carbs 2.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Skinny ar$e - me too!!
Attachments
start 5.jpg
start 5.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 7361 times
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Plenty to do methinx!
I don't think it will be ready for this years rally.
Attachments
start 1.jpg
start 2.jpg
start 3.jpg
start 4.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Lots of bits taken off today including old carbs (pics to come later!!) and cylinder head. Bores look surprisingly good so hopefully going to try and get it running this week, then a full engine out and go to town on it jobby.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

'New' carbs on and engine runs! Woohoo!!
Took some starting but as it was last taxed in 1985, that seems like a reasonable thing!

Now the teardown and redo can commence - after the smoke in the garage clears in about a week!
(Might put some more in tomorrow, if you know what I mean - the 3-1 sounds really well.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

All electrics now off, new carbs safely stashed and mudguards, lights etc. in a box for recycling.
The frame and engine look externally as though they have been in the river for the last 10 years, but the engine runs quiet and I've got some nice shining cases to go on it after the aqua blaster has it's wicked way.
When I took the 2T tank off, the oil only just dripped out, after washing the inside of the tank, a ball bearing dropped out which must have been over the drain hole. Lucky escape for the engine there (I hope). I know the pump was pumping due to the amount of smoke out the back - I had wedged the pump fully open while I ran the engine, so it's a good job I hadn't decided to run it up and down the road a bit for 'testing purposes'. The lack of a working front brake was another reason.
If I can get it all stripped in the next few days, the frame and black bits can go for powder coating, so might actually get built up again Christmas week with a bit of luck. I keep thinking of using the red tank (picture) off the Q bike, but I really would like this to be all black (as original) but with a bit of metalflake in.
Decisions, decisions.
Attachments
I do like this colour.
I do like this colour.
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

:ugeek:
Alan H wrote:All electrics now off, new carbs safely stashed and mudguards, lights etc. in a box for recycling.
The frame and engine look externally as though they have been in the river for the last 10 years, but the engine runs quiet and I've got some nice shing cases to go on it after the aqua blaster has it's wicked way.
When I took the 2T tank off, the oil only just dripped out, after washing the inside of the tank, a ball bearing dropped out which must have been over the drain hole. Lucky escape for the engine there (I hope). I know the pump was pumping due to the amount of smoke out the back - I had wedged the pump fully open while I ran the engine, so it's a good job I hadn't decided to run it up and down the road a bit for 'testing purposes'. The lack of a working front brake was another reason.
If I can get it all stripped in the next few days, the frame and black bits can go for powder coating, so might actually get built up again Christmas week with a bit of luck. I keep thinking of using the red tank (picture) off the Q bike, but I really would like this to be all black (as original) but with a bit of metalflake in.
Decisions, decisions.
What a finish a bit like this..... :lol:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Nice paint, KB!

Alan, good that you found that ball bearing! Piper still sounding nice?

Hoping to get my own 550B top end back next week and was preparing for that in the shed this PM. Ran the 380B, just to hear and smell a working bike - de-li-cious!

Cheers,
Mike