Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
winkle

Re: Earwig

Post by winkle »

Thanks for the info Alan, thats a pretty f-f-f-fair fairing.

Regards

Winkle
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Woo Hoo, the Earwig is now 'Historic' as of today, so I should get some money back off DVLA as I taxed the bike last month.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Nice run up to Squires today, but the bloody clutch cable 'went' on the way home.
Thank goodness for a nice gearbox that doesn't mind clutchless changes up and down.
Setting off is a bind though, good old electric start sorted that out just the once!
Spare to be fitted 'soon'.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Spare fitted yesterday and all is well.
Just for info the GT550 clutch cable is exactly the same as a GT750 one.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Glad to be back home after the Ireland trip.
Now to get the MOT sorted on the Earwig. Must get the other clocks on and find out what it REALLY revs out at!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Long time no update on this subject, so I'd best do one.

A few weeks ago, on the way back from Squires biker caff, the bike developed a bad misfire and finally lost power and cut out. Check the obvious - fuel and power - both ok, and restarted and came home intermittently missing on the RH pot and power very 'down'. Changed the plug still same, change t'other plugs and ran ok for about a minute and then started the misfire programme on all three 'occasionally'. Hmmm. Battery voltage ok, check points and condensers. Sparking on RH points so 'must' be condenser. Can't find new spares so put 550 to bed and ride Hippo for a bit to see if the 550 gets better on its own.
Tried it a couple of times and started ok but started to miss on rh pot after about a minute so self healing isn't working.
Eventually found and bought new points and condensers from Paul. Well bought the points and he GAVE me 2 condensers. I think he's better now though!
Today I decided to have another go. Started with basics again - plugs, caps, voltage all ok. Misfiring after about a minute. Change condenser and no difference. Sod it, change points - first time since it went on the road so no biggie. Can't get points to open properly at all then noticed the points cam 'wiggling' as it was turned. Hmm again.
Currently draining the (correct type and correct amount) of oil out of the gearbox to see if the 2 bearings behind the points are still there! Fortunately I do have spares if bearings are needed......

To be continued.......
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

New one on me this! Two bearings behind the points plate and inside the clutch casing had play in them. That was enough to allow play on the cam so the points weren't opening right. I suspect it would have had similar effect if the timing was pei as tbe sensors would have misaligned, so you lot with electronic gubbins can stop smirking!
I have some spares from (old) cases, but when I looked the bearings and seal up they are less than a tenner. Obviously not OEM but they're Koyo so they're close enough! I also looked up the seal that the clutch actuator moves in (again inside the clutch casingl and that was only a couple of quid, so I've ordered 2 sets and then there's peace of mind in the Yeti as well.
Earwig has done a couple of thousand miles and had been stood for over 30 years, so perhaps the bearings were tired or maybe had some corrosion from when I started to run it, so has done well. Just shows how robust and reliable these bikes are when not quite 'right'.
Anyone needing bearing/seal details contact me and I'll pass on details.
Ordered the bits, so it looks like a job when I get back from.........
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Flipping heck Alan a good spot by you! Don't think I would have thought of that.. :shock:
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, that's why I and others like you post, so that we all can learn from things that may not be easy sortable at first 'glance'.
Pity that some people don't do a search and just ask when they first post.......
Nowadays, common sense is the least common of all the senses in my opinion. :roll:
Last edited by Alan H on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, the bearings and seals were fitted ages ago, timing redone, hit the button and away she went. :)
But not happily, unfortunately.
Went out on the bike and lots of smoke from the right exhaust which is a symptom of the right crank seal not being very well. :cry: :cry:
So the cover went on and the garage got almost shut down for winter. Since then I've bought a couple of 200s and had lots of other projects at home (and away) on the go, plus the weather has been almost mediocre for ages and then we just had the Rally, so I have been busy, honest!
Got the bikes out today and felt really sorry for Earwig, so put the petrol on prime, hit the button and ....away she went first press. Again not happily and soon filled the garage with lots of horrible smelling smoke mainly from the right exhaust (again).
So, tank and seat off, empty the gearbox, exhausts, carbs, airbox, and several other bits are now in boxes/hung up and I'll have another go tomorrow to get the engine out and part stripped before the motor goes to see Uncle Baz for a crank rebuild and shining up again.
So this afternoon, she's gone from
Rebuild C.jpg
to
Rebuild B.jpg
and
Rebuild A.jpg
to
Rebuild 3.jpg
and
rebuild 2.jpg
and a box of bits!
Rebuild 1.jpg
Poor Earwig! But she will live again!!
(I really do miss the 550 and must get on with the Yeti as well.
Hopefully the summer will keep being summer, I think someone has been taking the wazz with global warming lately. :roll: ....