Earwig

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: Earwig

Post by Alan H »

Fitted the carb cables today - nothing went according to plan as usual - as the screws on the bar end grip were knackered so I put some SS button head ones in. Bugger, 5mm too long. Cut, neaten ends and fit OK. (just another effin job).
Carb ends on OK, just a bit of a faff, they might need a bit of re-routing eventually though - JAFJ.
Oil pump cable next. No bloody little nylon grommet whatchermacallit, so had to make one - JAFJ.
No adjuster either, so I thought I'd do a nice stainless one out of an 8mm bolt. Drilled it all the way through very carefully and just as it broke through the bloody drill broke. Bugger. Turned it round and tried to drill the end with a harder drill but that broke as well (double bugger). Used bolt as an accurate cat introduction tool - see below. Drilled a normal bolt and then counterbored the end so the cable ferrule goes in. Left the bolt head on and put the nut inside the oil pump 'compartment'. Fits nice and looks OK - JAFJ.
Painted the 'new' posh chrome mudguard (Thanks Kev!) so it won't go rusty underneath and hung it up in the garage 'just' above head height - JAFJ.
Points cover on next. 5mm studs 40mm long. Only got 30mm which only go in half a thread so no good. Ordered a bagful off ebay for a couple of quid - JAFJ.
Next, fit clutch cable. Where the John Jenks has that gone? (I'm certain I bought one.) Order another one off ebay - JAFJ.
Fitted the chain and tensioned OK, can't get a chainguard to fit as I'm not certain what year the GS550 swing arm is, so I've found some nice ally plate and I'll make one.
You guessed it, JAFJ.

Other FJs today were - sorted another couple of boxes of stuff out and stashed neatly in the 'new' drawers in the garage, sharpening kitchen knives for a neighbour, introducing myself to a new neighbour's cat via a non - Suzuki, stainless - bolt (see above). I don't think it'll try to crap on my front garden again in a hurry. Not when I'm there with a bolt in me hand anyway.
I hate cats.

Also set my new tablet thingy up - that went OK, wonder why? Although it took from Wednesday to get here as the Post office had it up and down the motorway between Sheffield and Leeds 4 times and the friggin' posty wouldn't leave it on Saturday as it was special delivery and the neighbour wasn't allowed to sign for it, so I had to go to the local parcel office today for the bleeder.
That got the staff at the local sorting office some amusing words to pass on to their management.

Other than that, a good day. Now off to the baths for a swim and then I might force a couple of pints down me neck in a couple of hours. That's not really a job at all!! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Alan,all that in one day,just imagine how long it would have taken if you were still working !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

JOHNJENKS66 wrote:Alan,all that in one day,just imagine how long it would have taken if you were still working !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bloody ages!!

I went to a local dealers' today and got a clutch cable. Fitted and adjusted OK.
Re-routed the throttle cables so they have better runs.
Fitted the 'new' mudguard and built the electrical panel ready to fit.
I could do with a left fork leg brake pipe holder offer the wheel bracket if anyone has a spare 59510-31200 they would like to exchange for some drinking vouchers, please let me know. If not I'll make a matching pair from alloy plate or maybe some stainless rod. I'll have a think about that.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

As posted elsewhere, sawed some tatty exhausts up for the downpipes and sorted all the rest out.
The down pipes will go on the new spannies.
Here's the bike with the new shorter 'quiet' exhausts fitted - might keep the tracker look - not!
Attachments
update 6.2.16.jpg
update 6.2.16 2.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Now what colour/stuff should I paint them?
More/better pics after I fetch it home tomorrow.
Attachments
Spannies 3.jpg
Spannies 2.jpg
Spannies 1.jpg
Spannies 5.jpg
Spannies 4.jpg
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Alan,the pipes look great. What do they sound like ??

Pink metalflake ceramic ?? :D :D :D

Plain black would not do them justice. Black chrome would be nice,but probably be expensive.The stingers would look good in silver,if you go with black pipes.

Should be on the road soon.Happy days.
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PAINT THEM!!! why hide all that beautiful welding and blueing. You can get clear heatproof lacquer which will keep that finish. Polish yer cans and Bobs yer dads bruvver 8-)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

^^^^wot he says! You could wrap the headers with heat proof bandage!
Looking good!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

martyducati wrote:^^^^wot he says! You could wrap the headers with heat proof bandage!
Looking good!
They'd look like they were poorly!
Quite fancy the laquer finish, otherwise it's ceramic.

Dunno what they sound like yet - the bike still needs wiring completing.
Hopefully before I get me knee done in a fortnight.
Whistle see.
Akorsgaard1984

Post by Akorsgaard1984 »

Are those jemco's?