Alternator

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
thibbledorf

Alternator

Post by thibbledorf »

My alternator has had an issue where in about 75 miles it will build up a nice graphite ring and stop charging. I clean off the graphite, and it's good for another 75 or so.

I just popped new brushes on, haven't done the 75 yet, but any chance the 40 year old brushes were 'bad/soft' or is there something wrong with the rings on the rotor?

-Eric
Alan H

Re: Alternator

Post by Alan H »

They may be rough or have a tramline on the rotor(s) that's wearing the brushes.
Get some like these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131477811067? ... EBIDX%3AIT and file them down gently until they're the right size.
have a look at this thread - http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... hes#p51396 - 4th post down on page 6.
Make sure the faces that the brushes run on are VERY smooth or the brushes wear out in about 75 miles ! :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
thibbledorf

Post by thibbledorf »

Very smooth as in the same 1200 you used on the brushes or go up to 2k for the rotor?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

As smooth as possible. The 2000 will take a bit more finger work (Ooooh, Mother!) :shock:
thibbledorf

Post by thibbledorf »

What you said!!! :o
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:They may be rough or have a tramline on the rotor(s) that's wearing the brushes.
Get some like these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131477811067? ... EBIDX%3AIT and file them down gently until they're the right size.
have a look at this thread - http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... hes#p51396 - 4th post down on page 6.
Make sure the faces that the brushes run on are VERY smooth or the brushes wear out in about 75 miles ! :roll:
Should the brushes be soldered in ? On my 550A the wires from the brushes are not soldered, just pushed through the holes and held by the pressure.

Cheers

Paul (Harry)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

IIRC, the wires were fastened securely to the brushes when I bought them.
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:IIRC, the wires were fastened securely to the brushes when I bought them.
Hi Alan - yes the wires are fixed to the brush, its the other end where mine are not fixed, just held by the holder.
Attachments
IMG_4573.JPG
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just make sure the wire from the brush is next to either the green wire coming in, or the earth tag - depending which brush it is.
Don't buy OEM, they're daft money - I got some slightly bigger and carefully emery'd them to size - for a couple of quid as against lots of quids!
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Alan H wrote:Just make sure the wire from the brush is next to either the green wire coming in, or the earth tag - depending which brush it is.
Don't buy OEM, they're daft money - I got some slightly bigger and carefully emery'd them to size - for a couple of quid as against lots of quids!
Got some of those Valeo £2.99 ones on the way thanks to your previous post Alan. Just wondered if the loose braided wire ends which come through the holes (as seen in the pics) should be soldered to the holder instead of just pushed through and left loose ?

Paul