The Yeti

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

The Yeti

Post by Alan H »

Or 'yetinother GT550 resto'.

Some time ago I bought 2 GT550s, one was the A, (the Earwig) that got 'finished' last year and t'other was a J that was very incomplete, not having any crankcases for starters. Anyway, some time after I dropped on a Q plate 550 which had an early engine and a late frame and had been registered as 'built from parts'. The engine was a runner - but wouldn't start - no, I didn't get that either, but the last owner didn't get what he wanted for it either.
Stuffed it in the works van and got it back to work, put some petrol in the carbs and a set of jump leads on and started it up. If the PO had been bothered to try that he 'might' have got another £500, buy heyho, better in my pocket!
Didn't run too great THREAD HERE, but didn't sound bad and was eventually covered and left while other things were done elsewhere. The details were checked and the engine was only 14 numbers away from the one that should have been in the J, what's the odds of that being so close? The engine must have been made within hours of the original one and would have been on the production line at the same time I reckon.
Now is the time to start then.
The first 550 I had back in 1972 was a 21st birthday prezzy to myself
Brand new GT550J and my old CB72.
Brand new GT550J and my old CB72.
and I thrashed that bike around the country for a few years before work and relationships took over my life and it was eventually sold, so in that bike's memory this one will be made to look as original as possible but will still hopefully be able to upset a few purists! There will be some stainless on it - rims and some fixings - but hopefully it will look very close to a Candy Gold first model 'soon'.
So this is what I'm starting with, hopefully running some time this year depending on holidays! Whistle see.
Attachments
Taken when they were at work.
Taken when they were at work.
Nice brake, I always did like the 4LS
Nice brake, I always did like the 4LS
Not sure about the 'guard, but the gaiters are correct!
Not sure about the 'guard, but the gaiters are correct!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
martyducati

Re: The Yeti

Post by martyducati »

Sounds interesting,keep us informed with pictures of course! :oops:
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
Thats a great start to what wil I expect be a compelling story. I like the near-perfect engine # match. Its fate, mate :-)
Enjoy, looking forward to future appearances of the Yeti.
Cheers,
Mike
ps: my oldest-owned GT triple, the 380B, got a nickname given to it accidentally, by me, I'm embarrassed to admit. When I got back into bikes in 2006, I 'restored' the 380. I knows its not done fully proper-like, and one year, if I'm well enough, its getting stripped beyond its knickers for a proper seeing to (frame repaint, new looms, stainless spokes, correct front rim, a few other bits). Anyhoo, in 2007 I bought a thumping great GSX1400 and I'd just got back from a ride on the 380 and parked it next to the hulking brute. My wife came in and said which bike do you prefer. A lot of waffle followed, during which I apparently said 'yes, but the 380 is such a....little sweetie!'. And its stuck. Every time I take the bloody thing out, my wife and/or kids taunt me with it, 'oh, off for a ride on the little sweetie, then?'. I like it now. Its a daft part of our family history :oops:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

That's how they should be, Mike.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Eeny, Mo, Miny, Meanie and Earwig of course.
Second (J) and third (Q) from the left will see 'changes' very soon!
Left one is a 'spare' K. As you do tend to find languishing around from time to time.
Attachments
20170117_143000.jpg
20170117_142941.jpg
Last edited by Alan H on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Doesn't look much better after being covered up for the last 12 months, and in a garage for two years before that I suppose.
But there's plans afoot and lots of bits already bought.
I'll leave it in the garage with the Green Meanie and Earwig to see how they get on together.
Attachments
20170117_171519.jpg
20170117_171443.jpg
Last edited by Alan H on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

And proof that GT550J's back in 1973 had stay free front mudguards.And a disc.
In the days BF - before fairing.
In the days BF - before fairing.
550 without fairing.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
Or not.
Fairing and 4LS after the 'off' that broke my leg and dented the tank
Fairing and 4LS after the 'off' that broke my leg and dented the tank
PollyD

Post by PollyD »

I think this topic is fantastic! thanks for sharing this!
astrax

Post by astrax »

PollyD wrote:I think this topic is fantastic! thanks for sharing this!
I have just phoned Alan H to check if Alan had been replaced by a "polite" double, as he sent this new member an unusually nice message, unfortunately PollyD had deleted his email address shortly after registering on the forum today, so Alan's nice message bounced back
Thanks for the interest, so what you need to do now is tell us a bit about
your self and bikes or interests. Not too much detail, just a paragraph
will do. We are just a group of folks with a common interest - Suzuki two
strokes - and like to share experiences with others with similar views.
Thanks
Alan
What has happened to the real Alan H ?

Looks like PollyD is based in the Ukraine and may have intended on spamming/advertising on the forum, so unfortunately, the account on the forum has been deleted.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Well I've heard yorkies like spam (it's cheap see) so that's what probably attracted him to Polly in the first place. And as for being nice he probably thought he was going to get a free meal out of it? How about spam, egg, spam, spam, chips and spam :lol: If you don't know ask yer dad ;)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!