The Yeti

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
RobMc

Re: The Yeti

Post by RobMc »

Alan,the wheels look absolutely superb!-can you give me any advice on whether to rechrome my reasonable condition gt380j wheels or replace? Thanks Rob.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Chuck 'em away (or even better, take them off carefully as there are a lot of pillocks who will buy a breath of air on ebay) and replace them with stainless rims and spokes.
No rust, little cleaning, and it upsets the anoraks - especially if they hadn't noticed and you tell 'em! :lol:

Speak to Baz, he is the man.
Well, speak to Carmen, and she'll tell him to get on with it............ :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
RobMc

Post by RobMc »

Cheers Alan-one other thing,how did you get the rubbers off the foot rests?I've tried a heat gun and wd40 but you've got to be Arnold Szwazeneger to remove them I reckon! :shock:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

RobMc wrote:Cheers Alan-one other thing,how did you get the rubbers off the foot rests?I've tried a heat gun and wd40 but you've got to be Arnold Szwazeneger to remove them I reckon! :shock:
If you are replacing them, spray loads of WD40 down the hole, get a hacksaw and slit them long ways until you get down to the bone on either side then wriggle em about till they come off the peg. If you are trying to rescue them, good luck. Kev
RobMc

Post by RobMc »

Cheers kev
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Rob,
Easy way which works to get 'em off or on is: boil a kettle (the tea making kind!) and pour boiling watter on the peg / rubber in a large enough glass jug to submerge the whole rubber. Leave 1 minute precisely (I know, this isn't GBBO). With rubber gloves on, or using your best T towel, yank out, pull on rubber while having bar clamped in workmate or similar. Might take two cycles to get it off, but one to gerrit on. A lick of washing up liquid on the bar end will help with refitting. Simples.
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

yeadon_m wrote:With rubber gloves on, or using your best T towel, yank out, pull on rubber while having bar clamped in workmate or similar. Might take two cycles to get it off, but one to gerrit on. A lick of washing up liquid on the bar end will help with refitting. Simples.
Mike
Can I remind you Mike, that some people on here are of a gentle disposition and may be traumatised by the above instructions.
Rubber gloves, tea towels, references to our American cousins, licking things is bad enough, and what about us retired folks that don't have workmates?
Shocking, just shocking. My flabber is well and truly gasted.
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh, and as regards the footrest rubbers, as the 550, 380 and smaller models tend to get ridden with more spirit, the rubbers are usually knackered, so just cut 'em off.
RobMc

Post by RobMc »

Thanks Lads,I reckon I`ll give it a try with the kettle method and then resort to the hacksaw method if no luck! :shock:
Rob.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

yank out, pull on rubber

Sorry Alan, I didn't have you down as a former public schoolboy.

:lol:

Mike