Suzuki GT 550 in Poland

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
tato81

Suzuki GT 550 in Poland

Post by tato81 »

Hello all. I beg your pardon for my English. I'm from Poland. I bought my first suzuki GT 550. I fell in love with her. So far I only had CB750 Four K4. The bike is working but it is for renovation. I count on your experience and help.

My bike:

Alan H

Re: Suzuki GT 550 in Poland

Post by Alan H »

Hi tato and welcome to the madhouse.
Lots of help on here and a good set of members.
You've already seen some of the 550s, but there are plenty on here.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Oh gawd another one, we will never hear the end of it now :lol:
Oh yes welcome Tato, it will help a lot if you are mad but don't worry you soon will be :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Welcome Tato! you have a very nice bike there. We will help whenever we can.
How is the bike running so far? how do you like it?
Cheers,
Mike
(UK)
tato81

Post by tato81 »

I think i'm mad, but I just fell in love with this bike. I'm still wondering if I should sell the CB750 to buy the GT750. My GT550 has been in the garage for nearly 30 years. I cleaned the carburettors and the motor start up. Unfortunately the engine fired only two cylinders. The head gasket and carburetor turned out to be the fault. One carburetor has no idle screw throttle valve adjuster. I already ordered it on ebay. The motorcycle is a 1977 model but the engine comes from 1975. Frame number is 72360 and the number on the engine is: GT550 - 58928.

First start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZusereVKQ
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Make sure the mixtures on the carbs are good by checking plug colours when you have a few miles on the engine. Remember that old style carbs really shouldn't be on later engines, but as the iron bore engines didn't really change much they 'should' be ok.
You should have done some reading by now from all the links I sent you.
The 2 550s I have restored had been stood a long time, so I took the head and barrels off them and filled each crankcase with diesel and turned the engines over slowly - each day for a week - drain the diesel out and repeat. This should wash all the bearings and soften the crank seals. It's worked on both my engines and might be worth trying on your before you actually go out riding it. Oil the bearings before starting it again - lots of smoke but the engines seem to benefit from it.
You might need 'easy start' to get it going!
tato81

Post by tato81 »

And I wanted to go easy. I see that I have nothing to combine. The motorcycle has been in the shed many years, and it should be done properly. It may still be necessary to replace all engine sealants. You're right, Alan, I'm going to do it.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Nothing to lose and I did 3000 miles on the first one and sold it a couple of months age still running well. The black one has about a thousand miles on since the rebuild and runs very well.
tato81

Post by tato81 »

I hope I'm not wasting anything by pulling the barrels. I would also like to use your help to check the oil pump.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

These are very reliable and run in oil so give very little trouble.