Anybody seen raised clock digits before?

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
Bigmick

Anybody seen raised clock digits before?

Post by Bigmick »

Noticed my clock digits where raised, anybody else seen this before?
Attachments
F58E9321-C8C8-47D0-9222-7F2C953E933D.jpeg
malky

Re: Anybody seen raised clock digits before?

Post by malky »

Looks like a JDM "K" model you have there as it has the speed limiter lamp on it
Mal.
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Not seen a raised digit set before... Only the normal set of silk screen printed faces.. Well you live and learn ..
I sold a set of K clock's/ gauges a few months ago.. The K clocks have a mottled finish on the body's, and not smooth like m.n.b Bodys...
Here's a tachometer / rev counter in the process, of finishing.. 1st photo is smooth, then my process in getting the correct Mottled finish/rash finish. ( photo 2 ) . Took me a while to purfect the finish .. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.png
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

Bigmick

Post by Bigmick »

Yes it is a JDM, split head. Not had the light on yet, it’s having new tyres as it felt a bit dodgy on the old ones. Yeah it has the mottled finish on the clocks but it’s not due to paint, more the lack of it :)
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

There were plastic faced gauges with the raised lettering/numbers made from 1972 till 1976. Some markets got them and some didn't. The temp gauge had the plastic face with raised letters/markings from day one and never changed until mid 75 to the aluminum print type. The plastic faces are about 3mms thick and made in dark green plastic, the face is painted and not silk screened like the aluminum ones. This makes them backlight and not only peripherally light like the aluminum faced ones. The warning lenses sit recessed into the face, they are not sitting flush like on the aluminum faces. You need to go to Ians Field guide on the GT750 and read the 'All about gauges' section where I explain this and many other differences throughout the years.
IMG_5710.JPG
A 72 tach from my stock that needs restoration, the redline section used to be bright red many years ago. Note the lettering along the bottom of the face thats not filled in. I have two of these gauges and I'm still searching for the speedo.
JDM GT750 gauges.JPG
A set of JDM gauges with plastic faces for the JDM B series models from 74 to 76. I believe this set was on a B4 series bike that ended up in South Africa.
600x450-2015062600200.jpg
Close up of a 74 to 76 speedometer showing faded red speed warning section.
JDM 750 K speedo.jpg
A 73 model speedometer with a black face and faded speed warning section.
JDM 73 K gauge JDM 1.jpg
What the redline section looks like on this lightly used 73 model speedometer.Its slightly faded but still decent.
$(KGrHqN,!lMFHmevIMEvBSClgELdHw~~60_57.JPG
An NOS 72 gauge with plastic case, this is what the tach redline section should look like on a new gauge. Notice the lettering is a light cream colour on this gauge, it fades to white over the years.
Two strokes, its just that simple.
Bigmick

Post by Bigmick »

I’m assuming that an MPH face with the raised characters does not exist?