prompt to introduce myself

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
hardrider

prompt to introduce myself

Post by hardrider »

as prompted by alan h ive been lurking on this fourm for a few weeks now ive bought my my first1973 suzuki gt550 its mostly complete but quite rough exhaust are shot but now have a piper 3into 1 bought from mike on this fourm thanks again mike engine was locked up but only from standing ive stripped engine down crank is being rebuilt with new rods bearings and seals new pistons and rebore frame and etc have been powdercoated so i should be busy over holiday period ive rebuilt a quite a few kawasaki triples so ive i got some idea what ive let my self in to i live in beccles suffolk not sure if there are any on the fourm from this aera
thanks for having me on here willl post some pictures soon
Attachments
20171125_142147.jpg
20171104_092230.jpg
20171104_084302.jpg
hardrider

Re: prompt to introduce myself

Post by hardrider »

upside down but if you click on image its the right way up
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Now that's better! I feel that we're mates already!!!
Have a look at my 1st 550 resto thread - you'll see some similarities with yours and may pick up some tips;
Make sure whoever is doing your crank is using genuine GT550 rods as I thought they were NLA and people were using KTM rods which are 1mm longer - ask Mike Yeadon about what happens with that - and need a spacer plate under the barrels.
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... w+starting

I've also done this one;
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... =16&t=5620

and now on with this one;
http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/v ... =16&t=9495

Which isn't being got on with much due to the current (lack of) temperature in my garage.
I also have a couple of spares bikes (550s), a Hippo cunningly disguised as a GT750 and a GSX1400 if I want to get somewhere a bit quicker!
I have loads of spares too should you need anything. I'm based in South Yorkshire near Barnsley, if you're anywhere near.

Oh and watch that Paul chap from Warrington. He's a wrong 'un with a strange hair do.
biker-smiley-emoticon-2.gif
biker-smiley-emoticon-2.gif (29.77 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
hardrider

Post by hardrider »

yes i understand the rods are nla now im using a blloke called gary clarke for my crank rebuild very well known in the kawasaki triple world i will be using ktm rods with 1mm thicker base gaskets
as for spares i not sure my rear rim has a flat spot hence question about wheel conversion allthough i would like to keep spoked wheels do you have any nice rear wheels or rims
simon
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:
Oh and watch that Paul chap from Warrington. He's a wrong 'un with a strange hair do. biker-smiley-emoticon-2.gif
Oi yorkie boy :roll:
Take no notice to him he’s not a full sixpence being from the wrong side of the Pennines. Yes I know most people say a full shilling but our Al is tight thrifty :lol: Welcome to the asylum by the way, loadsa good info and plenty of urine taking on here. Your in the best place for all things Suzuki 2T and “most” of us are ok ish.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Not sure what there is in the way of wheel builders in your neck of the woods near Lowestoft, but bluesmokebaz on here does a nice SS (or chrome) rimming service Image
- look at my 'Yeti' thread link above.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Super intro... welcome :-)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Welcome Hardrider,
Alan H will be a source of much help and perhaps parts as you restore your 550.
Please do measure your 'squish' (clearance) between piston crown and head before you start it. Soft solder cranked through the plug 'ole and gently turn it over, then measure the squashed bit with calipers. Better to be on the safe side.
Cheers,
Mike
hardrider

Post by hardrider »

thanks for the squish imformation i will be checking that but as the rods im using on the crank rebuild are 1mm longer and im going to be using thicker base gaskets to compensate the longer rods i should be ok but i will do the solder method any one out there know what the ideal squish clearance should be on 73 gt550
thanks
simon
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi Hardrider welcome to the forum. I think you will struggle to find an " Ideal" measurement for the squish band as it varies depending on the type of riding the engine will be used for. Its a well known fact that the engine head dome on these 70's two strokes are not ideally designed for the perfect squish band.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE