New bloke from The Black Country

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
lairdofsmoke

Re: New bloke from The Black Country

Post by lairdofsmoke »

Hi there young fellow.
Just read the last post so to speak!
Your bike appears to be an M model, the 'L' didn't have the Recess in the barrels, it was a set of K barrels that had the liquid cooled logo just stuck on and the later ones the logo was in a recess into the barrels. If you'd like to send me the frame and engine numbers I can identify the bike from the factory production line records, (given to me by the GT Triples project leader who hand copied them for me from the factory) I can also tell you more or less when the bike came off the production line, prior to shipping. I also have the factory i.d charts from 1971 onwards upto the late 80's.

Some off the stuff I've seen posted on the net is pure fiction on one site I've read !. :o
On fragrant cloud
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

malky wrote:That's an L with an M tank on it by the looks of it - looks like it's all there too - enjoy the restoration - good potential there
Mal.
Cheers Malky
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

lairdofsmoke wrote:Hi there young fellow.
Just read the last post so to speak!
Your bike appears to be an M model, the 'L' didn't have the Recess in the barrels, it was a set of K barrels that had the liquid cooled logo just stuck on and the later ones the logo was in a recess into the barrels. If you'd like to send me the frame and engine numbers I can identify the bike from the factory production line records, (given to me by the GT Triples project leader who hand copied them for me from the factory) I can also tell you more or less when the bike came off the production line, prior to shipping. I also have the factory i.d charts from 1971 onwards upto the late 80's.

Some off the stuff I've seen posted on the net is pure fiction on one site I've read !. :o

I'll send you the numbers cheers
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

The liquid cooled emblem is a sticker (albeit well faded) in a recess.
lairdofsmoke

Post by lairdofsmoke »

Having just done pm to you I came back this post, so the only conclusion I can come to is the bikes been updated for whatever reason, the recessed barrels only came in in November 74 for the 75 M models onward, although Suzuki did of a habit of trying to use up surplus stock!
On fragrant cloud
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

lairdofsmoke wrote:Having just done pm to you I came back this post, so the only conclusion I can come to is the bikes been updated for whatever reason, the recessed barrels only came in in November 74 for the 75 M models onward, although Suzuki did of a habit of trying to use up surplus stock!
Cheers for your help buddy. I'm sure the bike will provoke some debate about it once I get it out on the road. I've sent all the info required to DVLA to get its first UK registration. I ain't spending a penny on it till I get that. Hoping to ride it as much as possible as is and tart it up during winter months. Truthfully I can't wait as I've never ridden one before despite being bike mad for 57 years lol.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

When the anoraks descend on you (and they will, trust me!) just ask them where their bike is. Then tell 'em you like your bike with period upgrades.
Personally, I like stainless nuts'n'bolts , new tyres with new air in, new petrol & oil and new brake linings/pads. None of that 60s/70s rubbish!
Then you can ask them to rearrange the two word salutation to form a well known phrase or saying.
You know the one, 'off' and 'fork'. :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Alan H wrote:When the anoraks descend on you (and they will, trust me!) just ask them where their bike is. Then tell 'em you like your bike with period upgrades.
Personally, I like stainless nuts'n'bolts , new tyres with new air in, new petrol & oil and new brake linings/pads. None of that 60s/70s rubbish!
Then you can ask them to rearrange the two word salutation to form a well known phrase or saying.
You know the one, 'off' and 'fork'. :lol:
:D
PMSL and that sounds like good advice to me. I like modern stuff too. Already replacing Phillips head screws with Allen bolts as I get round it.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

That bike is an L model,
Chrome fork seals,Brake callipers with the locating pins for the brake pipes,ANd crossover. Exhausts.
Also the first model to have the reassessed badged barrell with revised porting.
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

Kettletimes3 wrote:That bike is an L model,
Chrome fork seals,Brake callipers with the locating pins for the brake pipes,ANd crossover. Exhausts.
Also the first model to have the reassessed badged barrell with revised porting.
That ties in with the dating certificate from VJMC The 'liquid cooled' badges on the cylinders appear to be all aluminium in colour and no evidence of having any black on them. Would that be right? Cheers