New to the Kettle....

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
Skyguyz

New to the Kettle....

Post by Skyguyz »

I just added a 1975 M GT750 to my "Herd." Everything works, starts, runs stops. There is some small issues but I did some checks and it is just a bit tired. I plan on a level 2 restoration. I now have 3 vintage Japanese bikes and one British bike, (1979 Kawasaki H1, 1979 Honda CBX SS, 1975 Suzuki GT750) and some newer bikes, (2018 BMW S 1000RR, 2016 BMW Racer, 2018 BMW GTL 1600, 2015 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR.)

The Suzuki GT750 is a whole new ballgame and I plan on taking any time with this one. I have restored bikes before but if you know of a parts source that is reliable and has OEM or quality repop parts that would be helpful. The cylinders have been bored over and the crankshaft replace, (unknown time frame) so if the leak down test passes I'll not do the bottom end. The MK carbs are a problem because MK hasn't made OEM parts for years. Any thoughts on non-OEM carb rebuild kits that are not totally crap for a 75 Kettle?

The bike came with good manuals: Part catalog & Haynes workshop manual. It will take me 3 times as long and twice as expensive as I estimate. Just being real here.

I was going to join the "Kettleclub" but the Treasurer is going until 5th June and the expenses to simply gain knowledge seems excessive. Comments?

First order of business is photographing and getting the parts bins organized. Do the compression and leak down tests and check electrical specs, etc before I tear into this beast.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sky

*The herd:

mizzytheman

Re: New to the Kettle....

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi Sky,

Welcome to the forum. I think you’ll find all the knowledge you need will be here on the forum.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Skyguyz wrote:I just added a 1975 M GT750 to my "Herd." Everything works, starts, runs stops. There is some small issues but I did some checks and it is just a bit tired. I plan on a level 2 restoration.
Not sure what a level 2 resto is. A polish or a bit more?
The Suzuki GT750 is a whole new ballgame and I plan on taking any time with this one. I have restored bikes before but if you know of a parts source that is reliable and has OEM or quality repop parts that would be helpful. The cylinders have been bored over and the crankshaft replace, (unknown time frame) so if the leak down test passes I'll not do the bottom end. The MK carbs are a problem because MK hasn't made OEM parts for years. Any thoughts on non-OEM carb rebuild kits that are not totally crap for a 75 Kettle?
Try Baz on here. He restores Kettles for a living . Genuine Mikuni parts are available. Avoid cheapo keyster bits. They are, shall we say, less than optimal.
The bike came with good manuals: Part catalog & Haynes workshop manual. It will take me 3 times as long and twice as expensive as I estimate. Just being real here.
It'll be more than that if you try and repair things that aren't broken. Trust me on that one.
I was going to join the "Kettleclub" but the Treasurer is going until 5th June and the expenses to simply gain knowledge seems excessive. Comments?
Yes, you're right. I won't go into more detail, but in my manual, KettleKlubKlan is a swear word. You may recognise the initials - that's my take on it anyway.
First order of business is photographing and getting the parts bins organized. Do the compression and leak down tests and check electrical specs, etc before I tear into this beast.
Thanks in advance,
Sky
Just run it and see how it goes.

Where are you based BTW?
Lots of questions and answers on here if you do a search - top left of the screen on 'quick links'.
Welcome to the asylum.
Oh, I hope you have a sense of humour, otherwise the KKK may be an option!!! :roll: :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

Alan H wrote:
Skyguyz wrote:I just added a 1975 M GT750 to my "Herd." Everything works, starts, runs stops. There is some small issues but I did some checks and it is just a bit tired. I plan on a level 2 restoration.
Not sure what a level 2 resto is. A polish or a bit more?

The "Comprehensive Vintage Motorcycle Price Guide" 2019/2020 edition grades condition 1-6. 1 being perfect condition and 6 is poor. A level 2 condition is: "Excellent. Without close inspection a level 2 can be mistaken for a level 1. There is almost no wear, or very minimal wear. It may be a bike that has been ridden but usually for limited miles."
Try Baz on here. He restores Kettles for a living . Genuine Mikuni parts are available. Avoid cheapo keyster bits. They are, shall we say, less than optimal.
I will for sure get a hold of Baz. Sounds like an excellent resource.
It'll be more than that if you try and repair things that aren't broken. Trust me on that one.

I do trust you on that one. Having done a Norton, partial H1 and a CBX went way beyond the scope of any manual. But in my world anything advanced is a derivative of a basic. the manuals are only a starting point, guidelines. The true test is knowing all the details from experienced GT750 forum members.
Yes, you're right. I won't go into more detail, but in my manual, KettleKlubKlan is a swear word. You may recognise the initials - that's my take on it anyway.
No KKK for me. This site seems a lot more friendly already.
Thanks in advance,
Sky
Just run it and see how it goes.

I did run it and it's real hard to start cold. Suspect carbs or crank seals or both. The brake work good and all the electrics work fine. Clutch seems to have no issues but.....

I will replace a lot of parts regardless, (New seals, clutch parts, all rubber and seals and the list goes on...
Where are you based BTW?
Las Vegas. SWA Captain
Lots of questions and answers on here if you do a search - top left of the screen on 'quick links'.
Welcome to the asylum.
Oh, I hope you have a sense of humour, otherwise the KKK may be an option!!! :roll: :lol:
Fixing these old bikes takes a true heaping of patients mixed in with $$$ and a lot of old school mechanical ability. But the most important part is the knowledge I will garner here.

*If anyone is even think about restoring a Kawasaki H1 - H2 or a Norton Commando, Ask me first.
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

Wuh,
Hi Sky and welcome.
As Mizzy said loads of knowledge and advice on here.
As for parts, our Baz (Bluesmoke) is a Suzuki parts dealer and restores kettles and others.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Scotch750 wrote:Wuh,
Hi Sky and welcome.
As for parts, our Baz (Bluesmoke) is a Suzuki parts dealer and restores kettles and others.
Who are you and what have you done to 'our Scotch'?
He can't spoke proper england like wot you just done.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

Scotch750 wrote:Wuh,
Hi Sky and welcome.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I think I should get a hold of Bluesmoke and send him a few gold bars just to things rolling.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Welcome. Looks like a solid basis to work from. You have some nice bikes there.

In the US there are a few places to go. For OEM parts I use my local dealer, but partzilla, bikebandit and others can get OEM parts straight from Suzuki. For stainless Steel parts I have had great luck from a couple of UK suppliers. Astrax on this forum is great to deal with as is Mark Reed. Probably others, but don't recall. Funny but I have not found any good stainless suppliers in the US for OEM replacement parts.

If the crank has to come out again, Bill Bune in Anoka MN is our go to guy. fast turnaround and great work.

Pistons and gaskets you can get from CruisinImage on ebay but the best head gaskets come from Cometic in OH. You can get copper as well, but hard to keep the water inside.

Ignitions, I recommend Accent in Germany are the simplest and cleanest fit.

Pipes from Delkevic if you want stock, Higgspeed for stainless chambers and Jemco in TX for simple plain steel chambers that work. For high end, you can go Lomas or JollyMoto but Delkevik are the only OEM type pipes. I probably have a pair of M pipes here (near Chi Town) but not sure if they are any better than yours.

Radiators are available off ebay at reasonable prices. I have a box of OEM ones, but in your part of the world it might be useful to have a new one with more capacity.

I often resort to ebay or partzilla when I do my parts ordering at night, but when I'm not in a desperate hurry, I just call Nielsen in Lake Villa and give them the OEM part numbers and have them ordered. Your local dealer can probably get what you need in many cases, but I suspect that some parts may be available in the UK that aren't available here in the US.

Happy hunting.

www.pinkpossum.com