Finally ready for the road, GT550

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
jantel

Finally ready for the road, GT550

Post by jantel »

Just need to fit the baffles and she's ready to go, got this one on Ebay after being screwed for £1500.00 by some A***hole in Derby left me somewhat disillusioned by the whole Ebay thing, anyway this time it worked out well, she's a Canadian import 76B model, which I got from a guy in Haversfordwest who wanted to try classic bikes, he fitted brand new tyres but come unstuck with a bad starter and a few relatively simple things, he gave in and went back to modern sports bikes, anyway I got it delivered to Surrey at a good price and set to work in creating what I really wanted.

What I wanted was an early J or K to keep my T125 Stinger company but after the Ebay debacle I decided to go for something more recent and opened up the choice, what I received is a nice 76B model in all quite good condition all round, it shows 13,500 miles which may be true as everything seems to be little aged, a complete strip down and rebuild showed the crank and seals to be in good condition (it ran well on receipt), so vapour blasted engine, hubs and carbs, complete rebuild, stripped and rebuild the wheels, sprayed the tank and side panels with Candy Apple red aerosols and a proper 2 pack clear laquer, again from a can, colour is based on the hyperthetical red and white GT550J, more a grown up GT250L, I like it and makes it stand out.

As it's a late model it has the ugly 76 rear light which has to go so if anyone has an earlier rear light let me know, hope you like it

I buggered up one of the baffles when removing it this week so a replacement is on its way from CMSL

Terry
Attachments
20190705_172536.jpg
20190705_172554.jpg
Alan H

Re: Finally ready for the road, GT550

Post by Alan H »

Wellll, nice bike, but the B has the later 'GS' style back light as 'normal' and the paintwork isn't standard.

That said, if you like it, well it's YOUR bike, so that's ok. I tend to veer away from standard too.

If you want a 'dog bone' style rear light, pm me and I'll have a look in the spares department..... :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
pearly427

Re: Finally ready for the road, GT550

Post by pearly427 »

That’s a beauty. I’m from the U.S. and that’s one paint scheme I have never seen. If it’s original, which It looks like it is. Very nice.