spark plugs

Here you can post a picture of you and your bike. Also where you are located and if you are prepared to give local kettle owners some of your time and experience.Please don't do discussions here just some facts about yourself. This was Glens idea! Thanks BAZ
EvansWard

Re: spark plugs

Post by EvansWard »

I have the Accent ignition system with stock coils w/ NGK leads and caps. Will they work fine with that set up? I also read no gapping as to use them straight out of the box.
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV
1984 Yamaha RZ350
slosher

Post by slosher »

EvansWard wrote:I have the Accent ignition system with stock coils w/ NGK leads and caps. Will they work fine with that set up? I also read no gapping as to use them straight out of the box.
They should work fine with stock set up + electronic ignition but trust me with trying to gap them they are very delicate ;)
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
EvansWard

Post by EvansWard »

^ much appreciated!
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV
1984 Yamaha RZ350
slosher

Post by slosher »

+1 with teaser " R " denotes it's a resistor plug
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
gladders

Post by gladders »

are they ok to use when running in a rebuilt motor or use standard then put these in after?
Cheers
Grant
GT750B, CBX1000, Ducati Multistrada 1200s
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

All this electronix bollix is just that.
The type of engines we run are unstressed, under rated, under used and under abused nowadays so don't need modern crap to keep them running well.
Just a dose of maintenance and well looked at carbs, electrics and points will do the job just fine.
The majority of us don't abuse the 40+ (or 50+ in some cases) year old beasts, so just run them as they were designed.
Use 'normal' plugs, oil and fuel, that's what they were designed to use.
Now certain folks wish to sprint, tune and do things to the bikes that they were never designed for and more power to them and their pockets, but for the majority, just run them as they were designed ffs.
Points, carbs and 70s technology are great if looked after. BUT, they need attention and care.
If you need infallible biking, buy summat modern, and get modern performance and reliability - until it melts and you need a mortgage to mend it. :roll:
If you don't understand 60/70s bikes and don't know how to maintain them, just buy a modern bike and let the modern bike shop rip you off.

Oh, and in case you think I don't know which way is up, before I retired I was (and am) an Electrical Commissioning Engineer and have worked on bikes for over 50 years now (JEEEEZ!!!), so when I suggest that you 'think' I mean that. Just think what you have and show it some respect in maintenance and general use.

I also have a car that uses iridium plugs (6 off) as standard so they only need changing every 50000(ish) miles - because they are a barsteward to access - I refuse to pay double for lpg iridium plugs as they have no sensible difference to the user, yet the manufacturer sells them at a premium price as they are gapped differently. This is the 4th lpg powered car in a 40000 mile, 19 year experience with lpg/petrol engines btw.
Intelligence and knowledge is no alternative to being stupid or lack of knowledge, so ask relevant questions, then listen and make smart deductions from folk that know what they are on with.

Standard plugs with standard ignition is fine, with non resistor plug caps is even better as you then get a stronger spark.

Getta grip ffs. :roll:

Let the comments roll............. :tw
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

Is that a yes then? :lol:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Optedout wrote:Is that a yes then? :lol:
A definite maybe, that's for sure! ;)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

Just wanted to be clear! ;)
slosher

Post by slosher »

Suspect there's a little bit of Haaar Much with your response to iridium spark plugs Al :lol: :lol: Ask a WW 2 bomber pilot which plug he prefered to have in his engine during a night raid over Germany ;) :lol: :lol:
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V